The season of sunshine, late nights, vacations and bare feet is upon us! Whether you’re ready to explore all OKC and the surrounding areas have to offer or you’ll be sticking closer to home, we’ve got something for everyone with these 100 ideas for summer fun!
This list is generously sponsored by Rustic Roots. Rustic Roots is a family-friendly, agritourism farm, just north of the metro. This summer, they are hosting their annual Sunflower Festival with plenty of fun for the whole family to enjoy. Check out No. 56 on our list to learn more!
(Editor’s note: Bold listings include sponsored activities from our advertising partners.)
- Check out the mural on the cover (Oklahoma’s Barite Mystery by Matin Alavi and Haley Spradlin) in person in Classen Curve!
- Create your own sidewalk chalk masterpiece!
- Test your survival and sleuthing skills at Science Museum Oklahoma, thanks to TWO high-profile, immersive temporary exhibits opening May 1! The Game is Afoot! Sherlock Holmes – The Exhibition and The Worst-Case Scenario: An Ultimate Survival Experience will be on display through Sept. 6.
- Strap on your skates and enjoy rolling around the rink at SkateGalaxyOKC, a perfect activity when it’s too hot outside. Check out their Family Skate Nights on Thursdays and Sundays or take a lesson at noon and stay to enjoy their Day Skate sessions from 1-4:45 p.m. on Saturdays.
- Visit a locally-owned bookstore, like Nappy Roots, Full Circle, Commonplace Books or Best of Books.
- Get prehistoric at the Sam Noble Museum to see Dinosaurs: Land of Fire and Ice through May 16. Perfect for kids ages 3 through 10, the exhibit transports families back to the Cretaceous Period (145 – 65 million years ago), the time when large dinosaurs last roamed the earth, to meet dinosaurs of all shapes and sizes inside two distinct environments with a variety of activities.
- Before school gets out, ask your teacher for their address so you can write letters back and forth over the summer.
- Stroll among dinos at the OKC Zoo! Dino Safari features 15 life-size animatronic dinosaurs that demonstrate movement and sound, plus check out eight dino skeleton replicas. The experience is open May 1 through Oct. 31 (extra ticket required).
- Vote on your favorite local businesses in MetroFamily’s Family Favorites Awards May 5 through 19 at metrofamilymagazine.com/
contests. When you vote, you’ll be entered to WIN a weekend getaway to Frisco, Texas! And check out Frisco as a great place to take your family with many hands-on attractions to enjoy!
- Attend oNE OKC’s FREE Street Festival on May 15 from noon to 4 p.m. at Booker T Washington Park to enjoy visual and performing arts, food trucks, pop-up vendors and activities for the whole family.
- Sign up for a local summer camp! Find in-person and virtual options at metrofamilymagazine.com/
- Hide children’s books in local parks for other kids to find through Little Read Wagon’s Look for a Book Program.
- Practice up, then host a hula-hooping contest.
- Head to southeast Oklahoma for an unforgettable family getaway at Oklahoma Awesome Adventures, where you can rent a cabin to enjoy the beauty of nature, plus visit nearby Endangered Ark Foundation to experience an educational interaction with endangered
- Go skiing and snowboarding … in the summer? Yes! RIVERSPORT OKC opens a NEW experience this Memorial Day weekend: Ski OKC, an indoor ski slope offering infinite, articulating skiing experiences.
- Choose your favorite kids’ books in MetroFamily’s Summer Reading Bracket Contest for a chance to WIN a local staycation at The Lodge OKC, a virtual cooking class from Sur la Table and other great prizes. Visit metrofamilymagazine.com/
contests to participate from May 1 to 31.
- Commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Tulsa Race Massacre by learning about the events as a family. Learn more at metrofamilymagazine.com/
- If you’re expecting a baby or the parent of young kids, make plans to join MetroFamily virtually for our Bump, Baby & More expo on June 5. Hear from local medical experts, meet metro parents in the same life stage and get registered for giveaways. Plus enter your baby in our Cutest Baby Photo Contest for a chance at being featured in a special Bump, Baby & More issue. Find out more at metrofamilymagazine.com/bump-
- Visit the new El Mercado at Calle Dos Cinco every Saturday this summer beginning June 5. Enjoy pop-up shops by locally-owned entrepreneurs in this Latin-style farmers market. The shops are located at the corner of SW 25th Street and Robinson Avenue.
- Make a card to thank local healthcare workers. Find out where to send them at metrofamilymagazine.com/okc-
- Make Mondays for movement at Metro Gymnastics! One-day instructional gymnastics classes for kids include crafts, games and gymnastics fun.
- Create an integrated arts project, like making a sculpture to explore force or drawing a work of art with patterns. Find instructions from Oklahoma A+ Schools at metrofamilymagazine.com/
- Get crafty at Unpluggits Paint & Play, where you can choose from a variety of ceramics and crafts, plus kids can enjoy the indoor playground, easels and paints, play dough tables and more. Or pick up a ceramics or paint and take to-go kit to enjoy the fun at home!
- Hold a food drive with friends, family or neighbors and donate what you collect to a local nonprofit serving families, like Filling Tummies, Upward Transitions or City Care.
- Create science experiments with items you already have on hand. Visit metrofamilymagazine.com/
simple-science for instructions.
- Take the Water Guardian pledge at Goldfish Swim School – Edmond to prioritize water safety all summer long — and receive FREE lanyards to be worn by the adult designated to watch kids in the water without distractions.
- Visit the Oklahoma Hall of Fame on Thursdays beginning June 5, or the second Saturday each month, to enjoy FREE admission, high-tech museum exhibits, crafts and activities and more!
- Go on an alphabet hunt to find each letter out in the wild! C for “caterpillar” anyone?
- Head West! To the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum, that is, for the Chuck Wagon Festival May 29-30. Enjoy chuck wagon and Native food samples, artisan demonstrations, live music, crafts and more. Don’t miss Liichokoshkomo’, the outdoor education experience and playscape.
- Try frisbee tic-tac-toe! Using masking tape and your favorite frisbee, set this game up outside on a nice day.
- Enjoy the best of locally-grown produce and foods by visiting a local farmers market. Find our favorites at metrofamilymagazine.com/
farmers-markets. This list is generously sponsored by Edmond Farmers Market, where you even pre-order your items for pick-up, a parent’s literal dream!
- Visit Oklahoma Contemporary on the second Saturday of each month for a FREE, socially distanced, family-focused day of hands-on art activities, performances and adventures for visitors of all ages. Timed tickets are free but must be reserved in advance.
- Create your own fairy garden using plants, stones and other natural finds. Bonus points for added flair such as gemstones, painted signs and a fairy house!
- Enjoy nostalgic family fun at a local drive-in movie theater.
- Eat cookies for a good cause! Purchase sweet treats from Catalyst Cookies to support the mission of local nonprofit Remerge, a diversion program for high-risk, high-need moms.
- Visit a metro community garden to teach kids about sustainability, examine future career options and build new friendships. Find options at metrofamilymagazine.com/
- Pack up the too-small kids’ clothing to resell (and recycle!) at Once Upon a Child. Use the cash you receive on the spot to scope out new-to-you summer wear!
- Go on an outdoor scavenger hunt. Find a list of things to hunt for at metrofamilymagazine.com/
- Enjoy summer’s tasty bounty by visiting a local Pick-Your-Own farm with our list at metrofamilymagazine.com/okc-
- Is it even summer without snow cones?! Check out our favorite spots serving up cool treats at metrofamilymagazine.com/cool-
treats. This list is generously sponsored by The Ice Shop — serving up 40+ flavors like cherry limeade and mango sorbet.
- Soak up the sun with a walk through Scissortail Park. Then enjoy playtime on the unique playscape, pedal boat around the lake or take a spin on the roller rink.
- Plan a nature-inspired day trip to commune with the outdoors and each other! Find four unique spots to explore at metrofamilymagazine.com/
- Cool off by visiting a cave or go wild on a spelunking adventure. Find our faves at metrofamilymagazine.com/
- Enjoy a truly unique immersive art experience at Factory Obscura’s Mix-Tape.
- Hit an Oklahoma beach! Say what?! The Sooner State offers miles and miles of lake and reservoir splashing fun. Find our favorites at metrofamilymagazine.com/best-
- Grab a good book and read outdoors.
- Play disc golf. Find courses to try at metrofamilymagazine.com/disc-
- Make it a summer of DIY projects! Check out family-friendly, instructor-led classes at AR Workshop in Edmond, where you can create unique DIY home décor, including pillows, doormats, wooden trays and signs and so much more. Plus, check out their DIY to-go kits!
- Meet up with a friend for an outdoor playdate. Find our favorite spots at metrofamilymagazine.com/play-
- Catch the best in independent films from across the world and all over Oklahoma in the deadCenter Film Festival June 10 through 20! Opt for virtual or in-person screenings of exciting new short films, insightful documentaries, hilarious comedies, hair-raising thrillers, terrifying movies and more.
- Play tourist with a ride on the Bricktown Canal boats.
- Get prepped for a family 5k run or 10-mile bike ride. Find training tips from local experts at metrofamilymagazine.com/train-
- Plan a family movie night with a twist. Check out our recs of family-friendly flicks by decade at metrofamilymagazine.com/
family-friendly-flicks-by- decade, then dress like the time period!
- Celebrate Juneteenth, marking the official end of slavery in the United States on June 19, 1865. Find a family fun event near you at metrofamilymagazine.com/
- Enjoy 10 days of activities, crafts and creative displays at the Myriad Garden’s Children’s Garden Festival June 11 through 20. This year’s festival brings books to life with the theme of “Tiny Gardens and Enchanted Woods” through activities and enchanting vignettes, plus enjoy FREE rides on Mo’s Carousel.
- Head north to enjoy the wide-open spaces and plenty of family fun at the Rustic Roots Sunflower Festival on June 12! Enjoy face painting, live music, a petting zoo, yard games, food trucks, a hot dog eating contest, a corn hole tournament, pageants for kids ages 3 to 14 and much more! $10 gate fee. The fun starts at 10 a.m.
- Meet the amazing alpacas of Magnolia Blossom Ranch near Newcastle!
- Plan a downtown staycation at the new Omni OKC Hotel, with plenty of family fun nearby. Get started on your itinerary with ideas on page 24.
- Stay cool at a local splash pad. Find our favorites at metrofamilymagazine.com/
- Care for local school gardens as a family while students are out for the summer with Restore OKC, or every second Saturday join with community members to provide home repairs for Northeast OKC neighbors.
- Take swim lessons to learn water safety, survival skills or practice strokes. Find our guide, sponsored by Oklahoma Swim Academy, at metrofamilymagazine.com/
- Stay up late to stargaze.
- Dig for selenite crystals at the Great Salt Plains. Get tips on what to take with you at metrofamilymagazine.com/
- Go geocaching.
- Tag #okcfamilyfun in your posts of summer adventures for a chance to be featured on MetroFamily’s social media or in the magazine!
- Build a bee-friendly backyard, and learn why these pollinators are crucial to our ecosystem. Get tips on page 16.
- Organize a litter pick-up day in your neighborhood or favorite local park.
- Take a donation of prepackaged snacks and water or Gatorade bottles to your local fire station.
- Cook up a new recipe as a family, then enter it in Shape Your Future’s Healthy Kids Cooking Contest for a chance to win great prizes from June 1 through 30. Find out more at metrofamilymagazine.com/
- Run through the sprinklers.
- Groove to concerts in the park every Thursday evening in Yukon’s Chisholm Trail Park, June through August.
- Start a regular family yoga, meditation or mindfulness practice.
- Ride the streetcar downtown.
- Become a MetroFamily Insider to get our magazines mailed straight to your door, exclusive deals, discounts on our annual events like Kids Fest and Cover Kids, plus more! Find all the details at metrofamilymagazine.com/
- Try a new-to-you locally owned restaurant for dine-in or to-go.
- Festival of the Arts returns to OKC with an all-new summer experience June 22 through 27. Enjoy the community celebration of the visual, performing and culinary arts in downtown OKC’s Bicentennial Park.
- Take a spin on the Wheeler Ferris Wheel to see the city skyline from way up high.
- Join OKC Pride Alliance for family-friendly events and activities during Oklahoma City’s Inaugural Downtown Pride Festival and Parade June 25 through 27.
- Travel back in time to the ancient Roman cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum before the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art’s The Painters of Pompeii: Roman Frescoes from the National Archaeological Museum exhibit. The exhibition highlights this snapshot in time through more than 80 artifacts and artworks and will be on display June 26 through Oct. 17.
- Independence Day parades are back! Find local celebrations at metrofamilymagazine.com/
independence-day-fun-guide. Or create your own parade at home by decorating your bike, scooter or yourself!
- Get inspired by a crafty class at Kids Inspirations in Del City with options for all ages! Plus, shop, sell or trade at their resale store specializing in kids’ toys, clothing and handcrafted items.
- Plan a backyard campout or go camping at a state park.
- Cheer on the OKC Dodgers at a game.
- Visit the FREE 45th Infantry Division Museum to honor the service of Oklahomans. Enjoy a stroll through Thunderbird Park, where you can see wheeled vehicles, full track vehicles, tanks, aircraft and more.
- Host a family fashion show where the most creative ensemble wins!
- Go fishing.
- Take a road trip to the Chickasaw Recreation Area for hiking and swimming.
- See a real spacecraft in the Oklahoma History Center’s Launch to Landing: Oklahomans and Space exhibit. In addition to the Skylab 4 Apollo Command Module, check out flight suits and other items belonging to Oklahoma astronauts.
- Enjoy the best of summer at a family-friendly festival. Find our favorites at metrofamilymagazine.com/
- Take a trip to Tulsa to explore The Gathering Place. Make a day or weekend of it with ideas at metrofamilymagazine.com/
- Experience turn-of-the-century territorial Oklahoma at the Harn Homestead.
- Go bird watching at Martin Park Nature Center. Count the variety of species you see.
- Head north to Stillwater to visit the Oklahoma State University Botanic Garden. Pack a picnic lunch to enjoy.
- Listen to an audiobook as a family.
- Volunteer as a family. Find ideas at metrofamilymagazine.com/
- Shut off the screens and play a board game together. Shop locally for the best in family games and unique kids’ toys at Learning Tree Toys, Games & Books. Shop in store or call ahead to get curbside pick-up, both including excellent staff recommendations based on kids’ ages.
- Visit the Tallgrass Prairie Preserve, the largest protected remnant of tallgrass prairie on earth, near Pawhuska. Keep your eyes peeled for new bison calves.
- Make homemade slime or play dough.
- Celebrate the end of summer with Metro Family’s Kids Fest Comes to You on July 24. Families go on a Kids Fest Tour to discover new attractions and businesses and have fun together at our vendor and sponsor locations! Visit metrofamilymagazine.com/kids-
fest for more info.
- Enter your child in MetroFamily’s Cover Kid Contest for a chance to be featured on our cover! The contest begins Aug. 1. Find out more at metrofamilymagazine.com/
Looking for even more summer-time family fun? Check out our dozens of resources to help you plan your perfect summer!