On Mother’s Day, we love to show our moms just how special they are—and what better way than to treat her to a day of fun! As we are dealing with the pandemic and spending most of our time at home, things are definitely different this year. But that doesn’t mean we can’t celebrate! Here are some fun ways to honor moms on Mother’s Day.
[Editor’s Note: This is a working list last updated April 21, 2020 so check back often for new listings. If you know of a Mother’s Day themed event or activity that you would like to have included, please email the listing information to email@example.com or leave a comment below.]
Celebrating Moms at Home
- You can never go wrong with a classic breakfast in bed. Make mom feel like she’s in a five-star hotel with an indulgent experience. Just be sure to clean up the kitchen too!
- Or, order a special meal from mom’s favorite restaurant. Nothing says “we love you” like a cooking- and cleaning-free day! Here are some reader-recommened OKC area restaurants serving brunch.
- Offer mom some time alone to soak in a tub, read a book or take a nap (or all three!).
- Brighten mom’s day with a fresh bouquet of flowers or kick the flower game up a notch and get out in the garden together! Myriad Gardens & Scissortail Park are giving away FREE Garden-in-Place kits while supplies last on May 8.
- Get outside and take a family hike together.
- Set up a salon at home for a mani/pedi.
- Game night – let mom pick the game!
- Host an at-home sip & paint.
- Flex your finest Pinterest skills and enjoy a craft-ernoon together or have the kids make a special keepsake craft. Here are five simple, but useful Mother’s Day craft ideas.
- Bake something sweet together.
- Pick up Mother’s Day-themed craft kits from Unpluggits or Color Me Mine to work on at home.
- Have a family picnic on the living room floor with mom’s favorite foods.
- Hire a local photographer for a porch session to help document the quarantined Mother’s Day.
- Is there a local shop that mom loves but can’t currently visit? Gift mom a virtual shopping spree at a shop you know she’ll love.
- Give mom control of the remote.
Celebrating Moms From a Distance
Can’t be with that special mom on Mother’s Day? Here are a few ways to celebrate from afar:
- Write and mail a letter.
- Find a recipe you both love and set up a call to virtually bake or cook together.
- Order and send a customized puzzle with a photo of you together or even a collage of baby pictures.
- Pre-arrange a fancy virtual tea hour. Wear your best hat and accessories and enjoy swanky snacks.
- Get out the old photo albums and share them through a video chat.
- Put that DIY cocktail bar to use and have a virtual happy hour chat. Adults only, of course!
- Find a local florist and send flowers!
- Have the grandkids make a special craft and stick it in the mail for a special mail surprise.
- If mom is within driving distance, safely drop off a special meal or treat from a local business! Or, order delivery from mom’s favorite restaurant!
- Is mom a reader? Sign her up for a book of the month subscription.
- Create and send a playlist of songs that remind you of your mom. Services like Spotify makes it easy!
Here are a few more handy resources to help make Mother’s Day special for the moms in your life:
- Insights from local moms on what they really want for Mother’s Day
- Our Editors’ Picks for eight ways to make Mother’s Day memorable
- Reader-suggested OKC area Mother’s Day brunch venues
- 5 simple, but useful Mother’s Day Crafts
- A local guide to Mother’s Day gifts
- Ways to give back in Mom’s honor
- Read up on local moms featured in our Real Moms of the Metro series (Be sure to check out our May issue for this year’s Awesome Mom contest winner and finalists!)