Mother’s Day is a day set aside to show our moms just how special they are. As we are continuing to deal with the pandemic, things are still different, but that just gives us even more reasons to celebrate! Here are some fun ways to honor moms and special mother figures on Mother’s Day, near and far.
[Editor’s Note: This is a working list last updated April 9, 2021 so check back often for new listings. If you know of a Mother’s Day themed event or activity that you would like to have included, please email the listing information to firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a comment below.]
Celebrating Moms in Your Home
- Take mom out to enjoy a local event. Organizations are hosting family-friendly, socially distant events on Mother’s Day weekend. Check out our round-up of things to do and plan a fun way to make memories together.
- You can never go wrong with a classic breakfast in bed. Make mom feel like she’s in a five-star hotel with an indulgent experience. Just be sure to clean up the kitchen too!
- Or, order a special meal from mom’s favorite restaurant. Nothing says “we love you” like a cooking- and cleaning-free day! Here are some reader-recommened OKC area restaurants serving brunch.
- Treat a new mom or mom-to-be with tickets to our virtual Bump, Baby & More event! She can connect with other local parents, local experts, baby product experts, local services and more to deepen her support village.
- Offer mom some time alone to soak in a tub, read a book or take a nap (or all three!).
- Brighten mom’s day with a fresh bouquet of flowers or kick the flower game up a notch and get out in the garden together!
- Get outside and take a family hike together.
- Set up a salon at home for a mani/pedi.
- Game night – let mom pick the game!
- Host an at-home sip & paint.
- Flex your finest Pinterest skills and enjoy a craft-ernoon together or have the kids make a special keepsake craft. Here are five simple, but useful Mother’s Day craft ideas.
- Bake something sweet together.
- Pick up Mother’s Day-themed craft kits from a local art venue like Unpluggits and create together.
- Have a family picnic with mom’s favorite foods.
- Is there a local shop that mom loves? Gift mom a shopping spree at a shop you know she’ll love.
- Give mom control of the remote.
Celebrating Moms From a Distance
Can’t be with your mom or mother figure on Mother’s Day? Here are a few ways to celebrate from afar:
- Write and mail a letter.
- Find a recipe you both love and set up a call to virtually bake or cook together.
- Send a customized puzzle with a photo of you together or even a collage of baby pictures.
- Pre-arrange a fancy virtual tea hour or meal. Wear your best hat and accessories and enjoy swanky foods together virtually.
- Get out the old photo albums and share them through a video chat.
- Put that DIY cocktail bar to use and have a virtual happy hour chat. Adults only, of course!
- Find a local florist and send flowers!
- Have the grandkids make a special craft and stick it in the mail for a special mail surprise.
- If mom is within driving distance, pick up a special meal or treat from a local business! Or, order delivery from mom’s favorite restaurant!
- Is mom a reader? Sign her up for a book of the month subscription.
- Create and send a playlist of songs that remind you of your mom. Services like Spotify makes it easy!
Here are a few more handy resources to help make Mother’s Day special for the moms in your life:
- Insights from local moms on what they really want for Mother’s Day
- Our Editors’ Picks for eight ways to make Mother’s Day memorable
- Reader-suggested OKC area Mother’s Day brunch venues
- 5 simple, but useful Mother’s Day Crafts
- A local guide to Mother’s Day gifts
- Local & Sustainable Gifts for Moms and Dads
- Ways to give back in Mom’s honor
- Read up on local moms featured in our Real Moms of the Metro series (Be sure to check out our May/June issue for this year’s Awesome Mom contest winner and finalists!)