Mother’s Day is a day set aside to show our moms just how special they are. Here are some fun ways to honor moms and special mother figures on Mother’s Day, near and far.
[Editor’s Note: This is a working list last updated on April 5, 2023 so check back often for new listings. If you know of a Mother’s Day themed event or activity that you would like to have included, please email the listing information to email@example.com or leave a comment below.]
Celebrating Moms in Your Home
- Take Mom out to enjoy a local event. Check out our round-up of things to do and plan a fun way to make memories together.
- You can never go wrong with a classic breakfast in bed. Make mom feel like she’s in a five-star hotel with an indulgent experience. Just be sure to clean up the kitchen too!
- Or, order a special meal from mom’s favorite restaurant. Nothing says “we love you” like a cooking- and cleaning-free day! Here are some reader-recommened OKC area restaurants serving brunch.
- Offer mom some time alone to soak in a tub, read a book or take a nap (or all three!).
- Get outside and take a family hike together.
- Set up a salon at home for a mani/pedi or book mom a session at a local spa.
- Game night – let Mom pick the game!
- Enjoy a “crafternoon” together or have the kids make a special keepsake craft. Here are five simple, but useful Mother’s Day craft ideas.
- Bake something sweet together.
- Have a family picnic with mom’s favorite foods.
- Is there a local shop that Mom loves? Gift her a shopping spree at a shop you know she’ll love.
- Give mom control of the remote.
Celebrating Moms From a Distance
Can’t be with your mom or mother figure on Mother’s Day? Here are a few ways to celebrate from afar:
- Find a recipe you both love and set up a call to virtually bake or cook together.
- Get out the old photo albums and share them through a video chat.
- Find a local florist and send flowers!
- Have the grandkids make a special craft and stick it in the mail for a special mail surprise.
- If mom is within driving distance, pick up a special meal or treat from a local business. Or, order delivery from Mom’s favorite restaurant!
- Create and send a playlist of songs that remind you of your mom. Services like Spotify makes it easy!
Here are a few more handy resources to help make Mother’s Day special for the moms in your life:
- Plan a Mother’s Day all about you! Match your personality with OKC’s best attractions, eats & events.
- Insights from local moms on what they really want for Mother’s Day
- Reader-suggested OKC area Mother’s Day brunch venues
- 5 simple, but useful Mother’s Day crafts
- Locally sourced & last-minute gift ideas for moms
- Ways to give back in Mom’s honor
- Read up on local moms featured in our Real Moms of the Metro series (Be sure to check out our May/June issue for this year’s Awesome Mom contest winner and finalists!)