We love summer as much as the next guy, but the heat can be brutal and exhausting, especially for the kids. From cool treats to splash pads pumping out plenty of refreshing water, here are eight ways to beat the heat and find family fun this summer.
- Splash around. Venture beyond the city for a day at one of Oklahoma’s best ‘beaches’.
- Hit up a community splash pad or pool or experience the water in a new way on a canoe or kayak.
- Stay entertained indoors by visiting a local museum. Science Museum Oklahoma is a Family Favorite! Several metro museums have new exhibitions such as Cosmic Callback at Factory Obscura and True Nature: Rodin and the Age of Impressionism at Oklahoma City Museum of Art.
- Save money by exploring a free metro museum. During the summer, the Oklahoma Hall of Fame invites families to take part in their Summer Thursdays, which features complimentary admission plus fun for the whole family. Also, the Mabee-Gerrer Museum of Art has free general admission through the month of August. (Editor’s note: If you make the trip to Shawnee, check out the new multi-age park, KidSpace Park, which is now the 3rd largest park in the state.)
- Go underground. Caves generally bring a sense of awe and they offer a very welcome break from the summer heat—and they are just plain fun! Here are the two best places to explore caves with kids in Oklahoma.
- Try a new snow cone joint. Here are ones our readers recommend and our Editor’s Picks, highlighting stands throughout the Oklahoma City area. Or, make your own healthy cool treat at home.
- Take a hike. Most hikes will be hot, but these waterfall hikes will be sure to cool you off! Also, try hiking to an Oklahoma swimming hole.
- Make your own slip n slide for a wild time, or turn on the sprinklers and create a wet obstacle course.
Looking for even more summer-time family fun? Check out our dozens of resources to help you plan your perfect summer!