It can be tough to escape the constant call of electronics, especially with kids at home for the summer. These 20 simple activities are our suggested alternatives to screen time.
What helps get your kids moving and creating beyond screens? We’d love to hear your thoughts so please comment below.
Editor’s note: Due to COVID-19 precautions, some of the following events and venues may have adjusted their hours or programming. Please check with each venue directly to verify.
- Hop on a bike for a two-wheeled adventure.
- Take a Route 66 road trip with the family.
- Have an outdoor adventure at a natural spring.
- Find educational fun at these top spots to learn outside the classroom.
- See art and science in motion with an old-fashioned carousel ride.
- Check out a free museum in the metro.
- Give back by volunteering together.
- Take part in the Oklahoma Hall of Fame’s summer activities and enjoy storytime, crafts and more. Find everything you need, from recipes, books and movies, in the Oklahoma Hall of Fame’s virtual at-home series or stop in during their Summer Thursdays to enjoy complimentary admission and special programming for the whole family.
- Visit a pick-your-own farm for fresh summer produce.
- Invite some friends to a splash pad.
- Reconnect with nature at a metro hiking hot spot. Download our outdoor scavenger hunt and see how many things you can find!
- Check out these fun ways to fight summer slide.
- Set up a play date at a park you’ve never explored before.
- Experience the water in a new way on a canoe or kayak.
- Discover outdoor fun every weekday starting June 28 at Myriad Gardens’ Weekly Walk-Ups.
- Stir up some summer science fun with one of these simple science experiments!
- Shop a local farmers market to find something to cook together as a family.
- Drop a line in a kid-friendly fishing spot.
- Pitch a tent in your backyard for a family campout. Try a campfire recipe to complete your evening.
- Spend some time stargazing.
For hundreds more great ideas, check out our 100 Days of Summer list, our popular OKC metro area calendar and our many guides to summer fun in OKC. And be sure to sign up for our e-newsletters so you don’t miss a thing!