It can be tough to escape the constant call of electronics with kids. What else can OKC area kids do besides be on a screen? How do you get kids away from computer games? These 20 simple activities are our suggested alternatives to screen time. What helps get your kids moving and creating, beyond screens? We’d love to hear your thoughts so please comment below.
For those times your kids are in front of a computer screen, check out our video series on web safety, provided by COX Communications.
Editor’s note: Due to COVID-19 precautions, some of the following events and venues may have adjusted their hours or programming. Please check with each venue directly to verify.
- Hop on a bike for a two-wheeled adventure.
- Take a Route 66 road trip with the family.
- Have an outdoor adventure at a natural spring.
- Find educational fun at these top spots to learn outside the classroom.
- Discover outdoor fun every weekday starting June 22 at Myriad Gardens’ Weekly Walk-Ups.
- See art and science in motion with an old-fashioned carousel ride.
- Check out a free museum in the metro.
- Give back by volunteering together.
- Take part in the Oklahoma Hall of Fame’s FREE Summer Thursdays and enjoy story time, crafts and more. Or, live it up at your own luau! Find everything you need, from crafts and recipes to books and movies, in the Oklahoma Hall of Fame’s virtual at-home series.
- Visit a pick-your-own farm for fresh summer produce.
- Invite some friends to a splash pad.
- Reconnect with nature at a metro hiking hot spot. Download our outdoor scavenger hunt and see how many things you can find!
- Check out these fun ways to fight summer slide.
- Set up a play date at a park you’ve never explored before.
- Experience the water in a new way on a canoe or kayak.
- Stir up some summer science fun with one of these simple science experiments!
- Shop a local farmers market to find something to cook together as a family.
- Drop a line in a kid-friendly fishing spot.
- Pitch a tent in your backyard for a family campout. Try a campfire recipe to complete your evening.
- Spend some time stargazing. Science Museum Oklahoma’s #SMOatHome offers tutorials to do it yourself, or watch their resident scientists explain the night sky virtually.
And for hundreds more great ideas, check out our 100 Days of Summer list, our popular OKC area calendar and our many guides to summer fun in OKC. Or our other e-newsletters to be sure you don’t miss a thing!