2013 Father's Day Fun Guide
Celebrate all things dad with these fun activities taking place in the OKC metro over Father's Day weekend! MetroFamily's Guide to Father's Day Fun includes family-friendly events and activities that will help give dad the most memorable Father's Day yet.
[Editor's Note: This is a working list, so please check back often for new listings. Have an event you'd like to see included? Email us with information!]
June 12 • 16
- Beauty & The Beast, Jr. at Poteet Theatre (222 NW 15) based on the classic Disney musical. $45. Wednesday-Friday, 6pm & 8:30pm; Saturday, 10am, 1pm, 4pm & 8pm; Sunday, 2pm & 7pm. 609-1023, www.poteettheatre.com.
June 14 • Friday
- FREE Art a la Carte at the Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art (555 Elm, Norman) includes live music, films and an art activity. 6:30-8:30pm. 325-3272, www.ou.edu/fjjma.
- FREE Norman’s 2nd Friday Circuit of Art is a monthly celebration of the arts connecting the downtown arts district with galleries, performance halls, and Campus Corner. Trolley service between venues available at minimal cost. 6-10pm. 360-1162, www.2ndfridaynorman.com.
- FREE LIVE on the Plaza in the Plaza District (NW 16th between Classen & Penn, OKC) on the second Friday of each month includes art walk, local artists, live music and shopping. 7-11pm. www.plazadistrict.org.
June 14 • 15
- FREE Fearless Families, Fearless Fathers & Fearless Faith at Tabitha Baptist Church (1219 N Grand, OKC) features two stand alone sessions that encourage and educate teens, parents and fathers on how to have effective relationships and stronger families. Preregister online. Friday (men, women & teens), 7pm-9pm; Saturday (men only), 9am. 388-8037, www.fearlessfathers.org/fearless-registration.
June 14 • 16 and 21 • 23
- The Sound of Music presented by Summerstock at UCO’s Mitchell Hall Theater in Edmond features one of the world’s best-loved musicals. $20 adults, $15 seniors & students (K-12 & with College ID). 974-3375, www.summerstockok.com.
June 15 • Saturday
- FARE Walk for Food Allergy at Stars & Stripes Park (3701 S Lake Hefner) helps fund food allergy research, education, advocacy and awareness. Includes activities for the entire family. 8am. www.foodallergywalk.org.
- FREE Iron Man at the Outlet Shoppes at OKC (7624 W Reno, OKC) Food Court. Meet Iron Man and tell why your dad is a superhero for your chance to win him a Father's Day prize pack. 10am-2pm. 787-3700, www.theoutletshoppesatoklahomacity.com.
- Chalk the Walk Festival in the Plaza District (NW 16 between Classen & Penn, OKC) features live music, food and hands-on activities for the whole family. Sidewalk chalk contest open to all ages and experience levels and winners picked by local celebrity judges. Proceeds benefit Family Builders in their mission to strengthen Oklahoma families. FREE admission, $20 per sidewalk square, $30 for families with children under 12. Registration available online. 10am-2pm. 232-8226, www.familybuildersok.org.
- Behind-the-Scenes Tours at the Oklahoma Aquarium (300 Aquarium, Jenks) features a tour of the holding facility for the sea turtles that will move into the Sea Turtle Experience upon its completion as well as the Siegfried Families Shark Adventure. Tour includes walking and climbing stairs so wheelchairs and strollers cannot be accommodated. Ages 5 & up. Tickets sold at the main admission gate on a first-come, first-served basis. No advanced registration. $10 adults, $8 youth plus general admission or membership. 10:30am, 11:30am & 1:30pm. 918-296-FISH, www.okaquarium.org.
- FREE Crafts for Kids “Father’s Day Tie” at Lakeshore Learning (6300 N May, OKC) for ages 3 & up. 11am-3pm. 858-8778, www.lakeshorelearning.com.
- Daddy Daughter Dance at Andy Alligators Fun Park (3300 Market Place, Norman) for Dads and their daughters ages 4-14. Celebrate Father's Day in island fashion. Rain out backup plan at First Baptist Church of Moore (301 NE 27th, Moore). Tickets can be purchased online or at the door. $5. 7:30-9pm. www.cityofmoore.com/ddd.
- Are We There Yet? OK City Hits the Road at the Reynolds Performing Arts Center (560 Parrington Oval, Norman) features the OK City Chorus with 2010 International Quartet Champions, ZING! & several quartets & small groups singing 4-part a capella harmonies. $15 in advance, $20 at the door. 7pm. 720-SING, www.okcity.org.
June 15 • 16
- Father's Day Celebration at the Chickasaw Cultural Center (867 Cooper Memorial, Sulphur) features FREE admission for fathers to the Chickasha Poya Exhibit Center, complimentary cookies and tea in the Aaimpa' Cafe, special sales in the Gift Shops, a Stomp Dance to honor fathers, a Father's Day Card Workshop and several activities in the Living Village. Entrance to the campus is FREE, admission required for the Chickasha Poya Exhibit Center. 10am-5pm. 580-622-7130, www.chickasawculturalcenter.com.
June 16 • Sunday (Father's Day!)
- Father’s Day Special at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum (1700 NE 63rd, OKC) offers FREE admission for Dads with a paid admission as well as Father’s Day lunch in the Museum’s Dining on Persimmon Hill Restaurant. 10am-5pm. 478-2250, www.nationalcowboymuseum.org.
- FREE Summer Breeze Concert: Parker Millsap & Band at Lions Park in Norman. 7:30pm. 307-9320, www.pasnorman.org.
FREE Admission for Dads at the following venues (Please contact chosen venue as offers vary):
- National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum, 10am-5pm (478-2250, www.nationalcowboymuseum.org)
- Oklahoma Aquarium, 10am-6pm (918-296-3474, www.okaquarium.org)
- Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum, noon-6pm (235-3313, www.oklahomacitynationalmemorial.org)
- Science Museum Oklahoma (with the donation of a new children’s book for the Boys & Girls Club), 11am-6pm (602-6664, www.sciencemuseumok.org)
- OKC Zoo, 9am-5pm (424-3344, www.okczoo.com)
- Mabee-Gerrer Museum of Art, 1-4pm (878-5300, www.mgmoa.org)
- Myriad Gardens Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory, 11am-5pm (445-7080, www.myriadgardens.org)
- Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History, 1-5pm (325-4712, www.snomnh.ou.edu)