20 Alternatives to Screen Time
It can be tough to escape the constant call of electronics with kids. What else can OKC area kids do besides be on a screen? How do you get kids away from computer games? These 20 simple activities are our suggested alternatives to screen time. What helps get your kids moving and creating, beyond screens? We'd love to hear your thoughts so please comment below.
For those times your kids are in front of a computer screen, check out our video series on web safety, provided by COX Communications.
- Hop on a bike for a two-wheeled adventure.
- Take a Route 66 road trip with the family.
- Discover family fun at an OKC street festival.
- Hear a story with new ears at a local story time.
- Sink your toes in the sand at the Bricktown Beach.
- Have an outdoor adventure at a natural spring.
- Find educational fun at these top spots to learn outside the classroom.
- Discover outdoor fun every weekday starting June 25 at Myriad Gardens' Weekly Walk-Ups.
- See art and science in motion with an old-fashioned carousel ride.
- Check out a free museum in the metro.
- Give back by volunteering together.
- Take part in the Oklahoma Hall of Fame's FREE Summer Thursdays and enjoy story time, crafts and more.
- Visit a pick-your-own farm for fresh summer produce.
- Invite some friends to a splash pad.
- Check out these fun ways to fight summer slide.
- Set up a playdate at a park you've never explored before.
- Experience the water in a new way on a canoe or kayak.
- Shop a local farmers market to find something to cook together as a family.
- Get out of the heat and check out an indoor pool in the OKC metro.
- Drop a line in a kid-friendly fishing spot.
And for hundreds more great ideas, check out our 100 Days of Summer list, our popular OKC area calendar and our many guides to summer fun in OKC. Or sign up for Weekend Picks and our other e-newsletters here to be sure you don't miss a thing!