Oklahoma City family fun can captivate young minds, especially when STEAM fuels imaginations without feeling like a lecture or school assignment. Science, technology, engineering, art and math are the focus of many educational efforts right now and it can be overwhelming exploring all the options in these exciting fields.
This is a great reason to explore the world of STEAM with hands-on activities at Geekapalooza on Saturday, November 5, 2022, at the Girl Scouts Western Oklahoma’s new, state-of-the-art urban camp, Camp Trivera, located at 2508 NE 50th St, Oklahoma City from 10 am – 2 pm. It may just spark an interest in your child that could impact their future career choices!
Here are the top 15 reasons to attend Geekapalooza on November 5!
- Spend the day out with your kids doing something that’s not only educational but fun too!
- Connect with local businesses and organizations that support STEAM fields within our community.
- Participate in the Geekapalooza scavenger hunt and our STEAM photo contest for a chance to win some amazing prizes.
- Enter a foil boat competition with Boeing to see if you can build the boat that holds the most weight.
- Learn about skulls! locate, measure, and evaluate various skull features to determine the mystery animal’s identity. REAL animal skulls are featured in the activity, as well as a giant dichotomous keyboard.
- See a hands-on demonstration of entertaining augmented reality applications designed by Clevyr.
- “From the Ground to All Around” – Discover how many different products come from oil with OERB and learn about a process called chromatography!
- See animals up close and personal from the OKC Zoo!
- Find out what’s inside a geode as you watch them being cracked by the Oklahoma Geological Foundation.
- Meet KFOR Meteorologist Damien Lodes to learn about STEM and weather safety.
- Test your skills of navigating a robot through an “obstacle course” with the Millwood Public Schools Robotics club.
- Experiment with augmented reality wrist bands and an AR photo booth with Wristworld kids.
- Play card and dice games with Mathnasium – you won’t even realize you are learning!
- See a tornado in a bottle experiment from the National Weather Center/OU College of Atmospheric and Geographic Sciences
- Enjoy some yummy food from local participating food trucks: Let’s Do greek, The Pizza Spot and S’more Snow!
This is just a glimpse of all the fun to be had at Geekkapalooza this year. Whether it’s just for a few hours or to last a lifetime, enjoy STEAM together at Geekapalooza. We hope to see you there!
Tickets are on sale now! For the best price, get your tickets in advance, $8 per child and $5 per adult. They will also be available at the door for $10 per child and $5 per adult. Find details here.