At MetroFamily, we affirm and support all families and all youth. In order to provide critical resources and combat statistics that LGBTQ+ youth are 4 to 5 times more likely to attempt suicide than their straight peers, we are committed to helping normalize, represent and celebrate members of our LGBTQ+ community. In addition to their sobering statistics about suicide attempts, the National Institute of Health also reports that ONE affirming adult can lower suicidality by 40 percent. Find affirming resources and stories here.
Perspective from Oklahoma families:
- Raising OKC Kids video podcast with metro moms and community leaders Sara Cunningham, founder of Free Mom Hugs, and Kylee Holland, program director at SISU Youth Services, discussing resources in the metro for LGBTQ+ youth and their families and friends and how to normalize same-sex couples and transgender individuals with children.
- Local mom Jenny Brewer shares she and husband Nik’s quest to teach their girls to love and care for their LGBTQ+ friends, their friends of color, their differently-abled friends and all other friends who deserve an invitation to their “Rainbow Party.”
- Metro dads and community leaders Heath and Brett Hays share their story of fostering and adopting their three children.
- Read about metro moms, Robyn and Courtney Hopkins, as live by the mantra “be the change,” both in their journey as foster parents and as they blaze a trail for gay couples in Oklahoma.
Local and national resources for LGBTQ+ youth and their families:
- Q Space, A safe space for youth
- Free Mom Hugs, a non-profit organization and now global movement, started by an OKC mom, made up of parents and allies who love the LGBTQ+ community unconditionally, working toward full affirmation and equality for all and educating families, church and civic leaders, encouraging them to not only affirm the value of the LGBTQ+ community but celebrate them.
- Diversity Family Health,
provides comprehensive primary health care services to the targeted needs of the gender diverse LGB+ community in an environment free of discrimination and bias.
- SISU Youth Services, provides overnight shelter, clothing, hot meals and case management to Oklahoma City’s youth experiencing homelessness, ages 15-24. SISU is a low barrier, LGBTQ+ affirming safe space.
- Cedar Ridge, The NEST provides affirming, evidence-based mental health treatment to youth who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning or queer in an environment free of minority stressors that could otherwise hinder progress toward meeting treatment goals.
- Mama Bears, supports, educates and empower moms of LGBTQ+ kids and the LGBTQ+ community, including providing comprehensive resources for parents and private online communities for parents to connect, share and ask questions.
- Kaleidoscope, an LGBTQ+ Family Support Group for youth and families in central Oklahoma, registered with the Family Equality Council’s National Network of LGBTQ family support groups. Kaleidoscope is intended for single & partnered LGBTQ+ parents, LBTGQ+ identifying children, parents of LBTGQ+ identifying children, those who are on their LGBTQ+ conception journey, as well as allies and family members.
- Thrive Sexual Health Collective for Youth, provides educational resources for teens, parents and providers.
- National Coalition for LGBT Health
If you have a resource or story to share, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.