At MetroFamily, we affirm and support all families and all youth. In order to provide critical resources and combat statistics that LGBTQIA+ youth are 4 to 5 times more likely to attempt suicide than their straight peers, we are committed to helping normalize, represent and celebrate members of our LGBTQIA+ community. In addition to their sobering statistics about suicide attempts, the National Institute of Health also reports that ONE affirming adult can lower suicidality by 40 percent. Find affirming resources and stories here.
Perspective from Oklahoma families:
- Raising OKC Kids video podcast, Part 2, with metro moms and community leaders Sara Cunningham, founder of Free Mom Hugs, Katrina Kalb, with Free Mom Hugs, and Kylee Holland, program director at SISU Youth Services. In honor of MetroFamily’s 25th anniversary, we are welcoming back some of our most popular guests for an update on one of our most-downloaded podcast topics: affirming resources for LGBTQIA+ youth and those who love them. Cunningham, Kalb and Holland discuss what has changed since our last conversation in 2020, how parents and the community at large can support LGBTQIA+ youth and why this affirmation and equality matter to our collective futures.
- Raising OKC Kids video podcast with metro moms and community leaders Sara Cunningham, founder of Free Mom Hugs, and Kylee Holland, program director at SISU Youth Services, discussing resources in the metro for LGBTQIA+ youth and their families and friends and how to normalize same-sex couples and transgender individuals with children.
- Metro dads and community leaders Heath and Brett Hays share their story of fostering and adopting their three children.
- Read about metro parents, Rob and Courtney Hopkins, as they live by the mantra “be the change,” both in their journey as foster parents and as they blaze a trail for queer couples in Oklahoma.
- MetroFamily editor Erin Page shares why families should make plans to attend OKC’s PrideFest
- Check out opportunities to celebrate Pride Month in OKC
- Local mom Jenny Brewer shares she and husband Nik’s quest to teach their girls to love and care for their LGBTQIA+ friends, their friends of color, their differently-abled friends and all other friends who deserve an invitation to their “Rainbow Party.”
- Read about groundbreaking safe spaces for teens in OKC, including the first behavioral health program for LGBTQ youth
- Local mom, wife and doula Jennifer Jenkins-Sekine shares her journey to create and facilitate Kaleidoscope OKC Family Support Group, serving and providing support for metro LGBTQ+ families and allies
- Real Mom of the Metro Kylee Holland shares her passion for serving LGBTQIA+ youth
Local and national resources for LGBTQIA+ youth and their families:
- Answers to FAQs and conversation starters about gender diversity from Dr. Ronneal Mathews with Thrive OKC
- Q Space, a safe space for youth
- Free Mom Hugs, a non-profit organization and now global movement, started by an OKC mom, made up of parents and allies who love the LGBTQIA+ community unconditionally, working toward full affirmation and equality for all and educating families, church and civic leaders, encouraging them to not only affirm the value of the LGBTQIA+ community but celebrate them.
- Diversity Family Health,
provides comprehensive primary health care services to the targeted needs of the gender diverse LGB+ community in an environment free of discrimination and bias.
- SISU Youth Services, provides overnight shelter, clothing, hot meals and case management to Oklahoma City’s youth experiencing homelessness, ages 15-24. SISU is a low barrier, LGBTQIA+ affirming safe space.
- Cedar Ridge, The NEST provides affirming, evidence-based mental health treatment to youth who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning or queer in an environment free of minority stressors that could otherwise hinder progress toward meeting treatment goals.
- Mama Bears, supports, educates and empower moms of LGBTQIA+ kids and the LGBTQIA+ community, including providing comprehensive resources for parents and private online communities for parents to connect, share and ask questions.
- Kaleidoscope, an LGBTQIA+ Family Support Group for youth and families in central Oklahoma, registered with the Family Equality Council’s National Network of LGBTQ family support groups. Kaleidoscope is intended for single & partnered LGBTQIA+ parents, LGBTQIA+ identifying children, parents of LGBTQIA+ identifying children, those who are on their LGBTQIA+ conception journey, as well as allies and family members.
- Honestly, provides educational resources for teens, parents and providers.
- Rainbow Youth Project USA is a social welfare organization that promotes the health, safety and wellness of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex and asexual young people throughout the United States by providing mental health care services and gender-affirming healthcare assistance as well as legal and legislative initiatives. Their crisis call center can be reached by calling or texting 988 or calling directly at 317-643-4888.
- National Coalition for LGBT Health
- Fulcrum Health & Wellness, is a family medical practice that offers services in LGBT health care, primary care, hormone therapy, women’s health, autoimmune disorders, PANS/PANDAS Care, IV Infusion and more.
If you have a resource or story to share, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.