A hallmark of the upcoming Independence Day holiday weekend is celebrating our freedoms with family, friends and community. The OKC Metro is a buzz with family fun this 4th of July! But how do you narrow down what to do? Here are our top family-friendly events happening this weekend:
- Red Earth Festival & Kids Take Over the Cowboy at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum – Celebrate Native art and culture at the 36th annual Red Earth Festival, July 1 & 2! This storied festival showcases some of America’s most celebrated Native artists and the museum’s outdoor playspace, Liichokoshkomo’, is the backdrop for tribal dance presentations. Festival admission includes full access to the museum and that is a bonus for families attending Saturday morning as kids take over The Cowboy with patriotic crafts, storytime, a flag hunt and other fun, festive games. Festival hours are 9 a.m.-5 p.m. both days and the Kids Take Over The Cowboy event is from 10 a.m.-noon. Festival admission is $15 for a one-day pass and $25 for a two-day pass. Kids ages 5 and under are free with a paid adult.
- Yukon Freedom Fest – The two-day celebration features live concerts, food trucks, kids’ activities and more, plus a giant fireworks show on both Sunday and Monday. Be sure to check out unique contests such as the Cherry Bomb youth triathlon that lets kids swim, bike and run through Yukon City Park (preregistration is recommended), a hot dog eating contest and a sand sculpture competition. Activities get started on Sunday at 5 p.m. and Monday’s activities get started early at 8 a.m. Fireworks begin at 10 p.m. both days.
- Edmond’s LibertyFest – Kicking off with Parkfest at Mitch Park on Saturday, LibertyFest has a full weekend lineup of family fun. Test your skill in the Road Rally on Sunday, catch a patriotic parade on Monday morning and finish up with the grand finale, a synchronized fireworks display at Hafer Park. Fireworks start around 9:30 but organizers recommend you arrive early and tune in to 99.3FM.
- Stars & Stripes Block Party at RIVERSPORT Adventures – If your family prefers high adventure, then RIVERSPORT’s block party on Saturday, July 2 is a perfect way to celebrate our nation’s birthday. In addition to all the standard attractions, take part in a watermelon eating contest, yard games and a hot dog and hamburger cookout. Top off the day with ice cream, live music and fireworks!
- 4th of July Dive-in Movie at Earlywine Family Aquatic Center – Kick back and relax waterside with a sunset screening of Disney & Pixar’s Luca. Other activities include free snow cones, a dunk tank and yard games. Admission is $6 for adults and $5 for kids and seniors. The event begins at 7:30 on Saturday, July 2.
- Red, White & BOOM at Scissortail Park – The OKC Philharmonic is bringing the fireworks back for this year’s Red, White and Boom concert! The free concert begins at 8:30 on Sunday, July 3 and will feature a lineup of patriotic music, a special appearance by Mayor David Holt and finishes with a booming fireworks finale.
Happy Independence Day from the MetroFamily Team!