August brings new learning opportunities—a new school year, new after-school activities and other opportunities to engage your children in learning opportunities. And learning is not just limited to the classroom! Family outings can also broaden horizons, spark new interests and capture imaginations. For our August Top 10 list, we polled our readers for their favorite places for kids to learn outside the traditional classroom. Here, in random order, are their responses:
- Science Museum Oklahoma (2100 NE 52nd St, www.sciencemuseumok.org)
- National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum (1700 NE 63rd, www.nationalcowboymuseum.org)
- Martin Park Nature Center (5000 W Memorial, www.okc.gov)
- Chickasaw Cultural Center (867 Charles Cooper Memorial Rd, Sulphur; www.chickasawculturalcenter.com)
- Oklahoma History Center (800 Nazih Zuhdi Dr, www.okhistory.org)
- Fort Reno (7107 W Cheyenne St, El Reno; www.fortreno.org)
- Oklahoma City Zoo & Botanical Garden (2000 Remington Pl, www.okczoo.com)
- Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History (2401 Chautauqua, Norman; www.snomnh.ou.edu)
- Museum of Osteology (10301 S Sunnylane, www.museumofosteology.org)
- Chickasaw National Recreation Area, including Little Niagra and the Travertine Nature Center (www.nps.gov/chic)
Thanks to Jennifer S., Dolores I., Dorothy H., Sara R., Shana H., Tiffany B. and David F. for contributing to this list.
Follow us at www.facebook.com/metrofamily to weigh in on next month’s list.
Have a place you’d like to suggest? Comment below!