The US Navy’s Blue Angels are returning to the Sooner state as the headlining performers of the 2019 Star Spangled Salute Air & Space Show. As the largest air show in the state of Oklahoma,
attendees will also get to see many other fan favorites at this year’s event scheduled for June 1 & 2 at Tinker Air Force Base.
Stand out acts included an S-16 tactical demonstration, the USAF Wings of Blue Parachute Team, a fast-flying micro jet, the Jelly Belly aerial comedy and more. There will also be a number of static displays and a K9 team demonstration. Over more than a decade, the air show has given thousands of visitors an opportunity to learn about Oklahoma’s aerospace industry, which is one of Oklahoma’s top economic engines. With such a large impact across the state, there is a real need for more young people to consider aviation as potential career path and the air show plays a very important role in this special mission.
“This is our chance to thank the community and provide an opportunity for people to come on base to learn about what goes on, to kind of pull back the curtains if you will,” Chris Moler, the air show’s director of community partnerships, said. “We want to encourage kids to get involved in the field of aerospace, whether in the private or public sector. The air show just might be what jumpstarts someone’s career.”
In addition to an exciting lineup of performers, kids and their families can explore a variety of hands-on STEM experiences showcasing robotics, drone technology and more, including a virtual
reality experience that lets attendees get an up-close look at what it is like to fly with the Blue Angels.
And, just for fun, kids are sure to stay entertained in the Kidz Zone play area at the north end of the tarmac with games, inflatables and a rock wall. Admission, parking and rides on the shuttle
buses are all free. Attendees are encouraged to park at Building 9001, formerly the old General Motors Plant, off SE 74th Street. Shuttle buses will run continuously throughout both days. Most of the attractions are free to enjoy with the exception of a VIP area and the Kidz Zone. VIP tickets start at $12 and a wristband for the Kidz Zone costs $15.
Important tips to help you enjoy your day at the air show:
• A good rule to remember—if you can’t take it on a plane, you can’t bring it on the base. Visitors will have to go through a security checkpoint before boarding the shuttle buses or entering the event area.
• Coolers are not permitted. Vendors will have beverages for sale and water will be available free of charge. Small diaper bags and purses are permitted.
• Hearing protection is important for everyone but especially for infants and children.
• Bring sunscreen and/or a hat because shade is limited.
• Blankets, lawn chairs and strollers are permitted.
• Tinker Federal Credit Union will have no-charge ATMs on-site.
• Some parking is available on base and can be accessed via the Lancer & Hruskocy gates.
To learn more, visit www.starspangledsaluteokc.com.