Smart Start Central Oklahoma (SSCO), a grassroots initiative that supports families as they raise children who are safe, healthy, eager to learn and ready to succeed in school, is encouraging parents to continue reading to their children during the summer months.
“It is so important for parents to read with their children, especially during the summer,” said Stacy Dykstra, executive director of SSCO. “This summer we are excited to share a reading list that incorporates science and nature. Parents and children can visit the library together and choose books that interest them, which will help develop a love for reading. Reading together will hopefully pique your child’s curiosity and encourage him or her to explore newly discovered topics more in-depth.
“Science and nature are everywhere and it is our hope that this summer book list will get children not only involved with reading, but spark an interest in science as well. The more kids can translate what they are reading to the world around them, the greater the learning.”
SSCO recommends the following children’s books:
Birth to one year:
* “Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See?” by Bill Martin
* “Inch by Inch” by Leo Lionni
* “Grow Flower, Grow!” by Lisa Bruce
3 years and older:
* “Fireflies in the Night: Revised Edition” by Judy Hawes
* “Magic School Bus on the Ocean Floor” by Joanna Cole
* “All the Colors of the Earth” by Sheila Hamanaka
* “Energy Makes Things Happen” by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
* “Peanut Butter and Jelly” by Nadine Bernard Westcott
* “What If…?” by Cheryl Steele
* “The Falling Raindrop” by Neil Johnson and Joel Chin
* “In the Small, Small Pond” by Denise Fleming
* “Growing Vegetable Soup” by Lois Ehlert
* “A Camping Spree with Mr. Magee” by Chris Van Dusen
* “If You Give a Pig a Pancake” by Laura Joffe Numeroff
* “My Five Senses” by Aliki
For more tips on giving your child a smart start, visit www.besmartok.org.
About Smart Start Central Oklahoma
Smart Start Central Oklahoma is a grassroots initiative that supports families as they raise children who are safe, healthy and ready to succeed in school. Smart Start collaborates with local service providers to provide existing programs and resources that focus on early childhood education and supporting families who want to give their children a good start in life. Smart Start Central Oklahoma is one of 18 Smart Start Oklahoma communities in Oklahoma. For more information, visit www.smartstartcentraloklahoma.org.