Across the metro, communities host parades and other special events to honor our military and the sacrifices made for our freedoms, making for opportunities to teach your children the importance of honoring those who serve.
Veteran’s Day Celebration at the Chickasaw Cultural Center (867 Cooper Memorial, Sulphur) a special stomp dance honoring veterans, films in the Anoli’ theater and FREE admission to the exhibit center for active military and veterans and a special discount in the Aaimpa Cafe. 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
FREE Veterans Day Ceremony at the Oklahoma History Center (800 Nazih Zuhdi Dr) features a ceremony featuring a variety of officials, a color guard presentation and live music by the 145th Army Band. Afterwards, attendees can tour the museum before or after the ceremony, including the special exhibit Welcome Home: Oklahomans and the War in Vietnam. 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
FREE Veterans Day Celebration in Blachard (Main St, Blanchard) features high school marching bands and cheer squads, the Tinker Air Force Base Honor Guard, the Navy Honor Guard and the Chickasaw Nation Honor Guard, as well as numerous Shriners’ units. 10:30 a.m.
FREE Norman’s Veteran’s Day Parade & Memorial Ceremony at Reaves Park (Jenkins Ave, Norman) features a parade and ceremony to honor those who have served our country. The parades begins at the OU Stephenson Research Center on Jenkins and ends at Reaves Park. Parade, 1:30 p.m.; Memorial Ceremony at Reaves Park, 2:30 p.m.
FREE Canadian County Veterans Parade & Celebration in Downtown El Reno (206 W Bickford, El Reno) features a parade, live re-enactment of the Iwo Jima Memorial, movies, a concert, poker run and more. Veterans and those serving will board the Heritage Express Trolley at the Canadian County Historical Museum and be Grand Marshals for the parade. Free to attend. 3 p.m.
FREE A Musical Tribute to Our Veterans at OKC University Petree Recital Hall (2501 Blackwelder) features special guest trumpet soloist Ryan Sharp and the Oklahoma City Symphonic Band. The band, conducted by Dr. Mark G. Belcik, will perform a variety of patriotic music as well as traditional concert band repertoire. A color guard will present the colors at the beginning of the concert. Veterans attending the concert will be recognized during our performance of the “Armed Forces Salute.” 3 p.m.
FREE Annual Veterans Day Celebration at the 45th Infantry Division Museum (2145 N.E. 36th St) features a loud salute provided by a World War II anti-tank gun followed by a performance by the 145th Army Band, a guest speaker and a beautiful Massing of the Colors. 10 a.m.
FREE Moore Veterans Day Ceremony at Veterans Memorial Park (301 S Howard Ave, Moore) features a special ceremony honoring the sacrifice of America’s finest veterans, civilians, and their families- past, present, and future. 10 a.m. **EVENT MOVED TO MOORE COMMUNITY CENTER**
Venues offering free admission for veterans:
- Oklahoma Aquarium – Veterans and active military service personnel presenting valid military ID will receive complimentary admission into the aquarium.
- Oklahoma City Zoo – free admission to all active duty, active reserves and retirees all month. Military members must show valid military ID to receive complimentary admission.
- Mix-Tape at Factory Obscura – Veterans, active military and their families receive half price admission on Saturday & Sunday before Veterans Day.
- Hal Smith Restaurants – Veterans and active military receive discounts on food at select restaurants.
- Receive 25% off your meal (Veteran or Active Military Member) at: Charleston’s, Upper Crust, Mahogany, Neighborhood JAM, Redrock Canyon Grill, Mama Roja Mexican Kitchen, Hefner Grill.
- Receive a free burger at Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar & Grill.
- Receive 10% off the entire party’s meal at Hollie’s Flatiron Grill.
- Veterans receive 10% off the entire party’s meal at Pub W.
- Veterans receive 5% off the entire party’s meal at The Garage.
- Veterans receive 25% off your meal at Louie’s.