How many times have we heard the phrase: “Things just look a little different right now?” Instead of bucking the theme, I’m going to embrace it for Valentine’s Day. The normal roses and steakhouse aren’t going to cut it, not for the drama 2020/2021 have dealt us! For all those over-stretched mamas like me, check out my favorite unique, fun and out-of-the-ordinary gift ideas to look forward to, spoil our partners with, celebrate our Galentine’s or to treat ourselves. We deserve it!
- Cafe Disco: This place is my go-to pick-me-up. Not only is this macaroon bakery adorable, their namesake is an Office reference (season 5, ep. 27). Stop by in February for special seasonal flavors like red velvet or raspberry rosé, or try my favorites: lemon, honey lavender or creme brulee.
- Curbside Flowers: Buy gorgeous floral bouquets, but let it mean something. Curbside Flowers operates like a traditional florist but offers education and job skills training to community members transitioning out of homelessness while also seeking to break down social stigmas surrounding homelessness. “Flowers are beautiful, and so are people,” said Ranya Forgotson, director of the Curbside program. Curbside Flowers is located at 522 N. Classen Blvd.
- Sandplum Soul Designs: Turquoise is our new best friend! Casual, dressy and sure to be a complimentary hue to any complexion — made even better because these duds support a local mama and maker. Shop her website and peek her behind-the-scenes shots and new releases through Instagram.
- Guestroom Records: If you’re looking to get the whole family involved in a Valentine’s celebration, music is the way to do it. Jam with Fleetwood Mac (my toddler’s most-requested) or Gary Clark Jr., melt alongside Leon Bridges or Chris Stapleton, snuggle up with Etta James or Amos Lee. All these artists sound better on vinyl — I promise! Guestroom sells loved records and can provide fantastic recommendations if you’re unsure which one to take home.
- The Hall’s Pizza Kitchen: Hall’s is hands-down my favorite pizza place in OKC. They are so fun and creative with festive menu options, plus pizza always appeases everyone in our household. This year they are offering a Valentine’s prix fixe menu for dine-in date night or they are offering “Valentine’s Day @ Home Boxes” available for order on their website.
- Blind date with a book: The Oklahoma City Museum of Art’s Museum Store is mystery-wrapping Blind Date books! For $4 (available through Feb. 13), you can treat your sweetie or yourself with a surprise book to enjoy. Other art-inspired gift ideas include Chihuly tote bags, Koko & Lola earrings and P&T Perfect Day loose leaf teas. The mystery books can be purchased in-store, other gift options are available online.
We hope this gives you some fun and out of the box ideas to embrace the “different” this season has brought. Check out more ideas for local date night restaurant favorites, ideas for at-home fun and a family Valentine feast menu from other local mamas, plus find tons of celebratory ideas in our Valentine’s Guide. Hold your sweeties close and celebrate love this weekend!