Look for the bare necessities in the Myriad Botanical Gardens’ Children’s Garden as we transform the area into a jungle haven for 17 days celebrating The Jungle Book! Experience Rudyard Kipling’s story of how the man cub, Mowgli, adapts to life in the jungle with the help of Baloo, Bagheera, Kaa, and those pesky monkeys. Enjoy crafts, activities and imaginative displays that capture India’s rich culture and will educate us all on the adventures in this heartwarming story.
The Jungle Book Spring Festival is set to run May 6-22 in the Children’s Garden at Myriad Gardens. Cost to attend is FREE for Gardens members. For non-members, fees are $6. Hours will be 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Purchase The Jungle Book Combo Package for $10 to visit both the Children’s Garden and the Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory or purchase a family membership for $65 and come free as many times as you like!
Activities include: Stories from the Jungle; Jammin’ in the Jungle Drumming lessons; A Night at the Jungle with a screening of Disney’s 1967 classic The Jungle Book; Jungle Yoga for Kids; dances from India; Henna Tattoos, Crack-a-coconut and more in the Children’s Garden and a scavenger hunt through the Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory daily. The Gardens will bring Rudyard Kipling’s The Jungle Book to life thanks to presenting sponsor Cox Communications and sponsors by Express Employment Professionals, E.L. and Thelma Gaylord Foundation & Tinker Federal Credit Union.
For more information or to register for events or activities call 405.445.7080 or visit online.
The Jungle Book Spring Festival-related events:
Stories from the Jungle
- Fridays and Saturdays during The Jungle Book, 1 – 1:45 p.m.
- Bagheera’s Bungalow in the Children’s Garden
- FREE with Admission to The Jungle Book (Admission is FREE for members!)
- Best for Ages 4-9
Join us Fridays and Saturdays during The Jungle Book for an interactive reading of jungle-inspired books. Audience members will have the chance to participate in the story and be the elephants, monkeys, and other jungle friends as we read through charming stories.
Jammin’ in the Jungle
- Saturday, May 7, 11 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Garden Room and Crystal Bridge
- Members $2; Nonmembers $4
- Best for Ages 5-10
- Register by Tuesday, May 3
Learn all about the instruments from the jungle! In this interactive class we’ll talk about the myriad of instruments we get from the jungle and the plants that are used to create many of them. We’ll make our own jungle instrument and finish up with a jam session.
Night at the Jungle presented by Tinker Federal Credit Union
- Friday, May 13, 6-10 p.m.
- Children’s Garden
- Activities in the Children’s Garden, 6-8 p.m.
- Screening of Disney’s 1967 The Jungle Book, 8-10 p.m.
- Members $7 per child ages 4-12, $5 per adult
- Nonmembers $10 per child ages 4-12, $8 per adult
- Register by Wednesday, April 27
Calling all adventurers! Come to The Jungle Book after hours to explore the Children’s Garden as the sun sets in the background. There will be jungle games, activities and treats. All guests are encouraged to dress as their favorite character and get in the jungle spirit. The evening will wind down with a screening of Disney’s 1967 animated classic, The Jungle Book. Space is limited so reserve early by registering online.
Painting in the Gardens Series with Wine and Palette
- Saturday, May 14, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Pavilion Lawn or South Lobby of Crystal Bridge depending on weather
- Members $20, register by phone (405) 227-0230
- Non-members $25, register at www.wineandpalette.com/calendar.asp
Bring scenes from The Jungle Book to life on canvas! This session will also offer a kid-friendly option to choose from. One 11”x14” canvas is offered to each participant. Make it a family day! Mom or dad can paint alongside with their young artists after being inspired by the displays seen in the Children’s Garden.
Ongoing IN THE JUNGLE
- Friday-Sunday, May 6-8, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- $5-10 per design
Lavender Valley Acres
- Saturday, May 7, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Savory Spice Shop Demos
- Saturdays, May 14 & 21, 11 a.m. & 1 p.m.
Nrita-Arpan Dance School presents
- Classical/Folk Fusion, Saturday, May 7, 1 & 2 p.m.
- Punjabi Folk Dance, Saturday, May 7, 1:30 p.m.
- Bollywood Dance, Sunday, May 8, 2 & 3 p.m.
- Indian Classical Dance, Sunday, May 15, 2 & 3 p.m.
- Rajasthani Folk Dance, Friday, May 15, 2:30 & 3:30 p.m.
AALIM Dance Company
- May 20-22, 2 & 3:30 p.m.
Jungle Yoga for Kids!
- Saturday & Sunday, May 21 & 22, 11a.m. & 1 p.m.
Crack a coconut!
- $5 daily
Daily Scavenger Hunts through the Crystal Bridge
- 9 a.m.-5 p.m. daily with admission to the Crystal Bridge