Parenting is hard. The daily demands, both physical and mental, can weigh heavily on moms and dads. Taking time for self-care can positively impact your health and well-being and help you be a better parent too!
Boost your mental and physical wellness with these easy self-care strategies for busy parents.
- Breathe – Take a moment to calm the mind with some deep breathing exercises from This Land Yoga.
- Write a note to a family member or friend – Taking time to reflect on positive relationships is a great way to reset your day. Step it up a notch with a modern touch like this Little Love Jar.
- Drink more water! – It cures more than we give credit for.
- Journal – Whether you’re writing about what’s bothering you, things you are grateful for or just your current state of mind, journaling is a great way to debrief and hone in on areas that are adding stress.
- Go for a walk – Physical activity, especially when paired with fresh air and nature, is not only good for your body but also your soul.
- Check in with your emotions – Reserve some time to recognize how you are feeling and name the emotion. Validating where you are can help get you where you want to be.
- Read (or listen) to a book – Give yourself an escape with a literary adventure or delve into a subject that interest you.
- Get your nails done – A little bit of pampering goes a long way.
- Get crafty – You don’t have to be a master artist to benefit from the reward of creating.
- Unplug – Set your device aside and get yourself a few minutes to do nothing.
- Schedule a Zoom date with a friend – Connect with other adults with no babysitter is required!
- Stretch – A quick stretching session can relieve muscle fatigue and increases blood flow.
- Bake a tasty treat – Making something savory or sweet is a great outlet for nervous energy and gives the whole family something to look forward to.
- Netflix & chill – Carve out some adult time to watch something other than kiddie shows. Here are a few newly-released, binge-worthy shows to watch after the kids go to bed.
- Help someone – Helping others feels great and its contagious too! The next time you feel down find a simple way to give back.
- Rock out to your favorite tunes – Take a break from whatever noise your kids are making to enjoy an old classical or something new from your favorite artist.
- Take a long shower or bath to enjoy some solitude.
- Get fancy! – Even if you have no where specific to go, put on your favorite outfit. You just feel better when you like how you look.
- Listen to an uplifting podcast – From self-help to the silly, engage your mind in some productive listening. We’ve started our own brand new video podcast series, Raising OKC Kids, to provide OKC parents the content and resources they need.
- Treat yourself to a hot beverage and actually drink it before it gets cold.
- Prioritize your own health and schedule annual check-ups – Grown ups need to check in with their doctors too.
- If you find yourself stuck, reach out to an counselor or therapist. When you take steps to take care of yourself, you will have more of you to give to those you love.
Looking for more articles focused on self care and mental health and wellness? Check out our content focused on family mental wellness.