As the school year winds down, many families turn their attention to the educators who have given so much of their time and effort to local kids all year.
The Oklahoma Foundation for Excellence is honoring five outstanding local educators in a banquet later this month along with 100 of the state's top public high school seniors. The 30th Academic Awards Banquet will be hosted May 21 in Norman.
The Medal for Excellence awards are given annually to a handful of exceptional teachers across all grade levels. The 2016 Medal for Excellence winners are:
- Randy Utt, James L. Dennis Elementary School, Putnam City Schools, Oklahoma City (elementary level)
- Frank V. Cooper, Charles Page High School, Sand Springs (secondary)
- Andrea D. Rains, principal of Skyline Elementary School, Stillwater (elementary/secondary administration)
- Dr. William Caire, biology professor, University of Central Oklahoma, Edmond (regional university or community college)
- Dr. Garey A. Fox, professor of biosystems engineering, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater (research university)
Huge congratulations to all the teachers in the Oklahoma City and especially these excellent teachers who are being recognized.
Teacher Appreciation Day is May 3 and we hope all our readers will use this month as an opportunity to let the teachers in their lives know more than ever how appreciate they are. For some gift ideas from local teachers, click here.
The Academic Awards Banquet will premiere statewide on public television at 8 p.m. Saturday, May 28, on OETA. Subsequent airings will be shown on OETA’s OKLA digital channel. For digital broadcast listings, visit the station’s website at www.oeta.tv.
For more information on the Academic Awards Banquet, visit the Oklahoma Foundation for Excellence website or call (405) 236-0006.