This holiday season I was looking for a unique activity to get into the holiday spirit with friends and family in Oklahoma City. Drive through Christmas lights? Meh, I’ve already done it too many times. Indoor concerts? Not in the mood this year. I was looking for something adventurous, upbeat and fun to do with friends and family. My solution? The Art Afloat OKC concert was just the ticket to holiday cheer in a fun-filled evening that supports local Oklahoma artists.
Our showboat concert series tickets included the pre-show experience at the Bricktown Brewery with complimentary local Bricktown beers. After some time to ourselves to eat and chat, the Art Afloat team escorted us right from the brewery to the water taxi (which is uniquely painted by a local artist, no less!) They also allow you to bring beer to the boat with you so you can sip local while you listen.
We enjoyed an intimate setting aboard the Bricktown Water Taxi with local musicians Chase and Emily McCumber. The 40-minute concert was upbeat and included lots of holiday hits! We were totally swept up in the ambiance of the beautifully lit Bricktown Canal holiday lights as we cruised the canal while the musicians performed. It not only got me into the holiday spirit, it also rekindled my excitement for supporting our local Oklahoma art and music scene as Art Afloat OKC is a nonprofit with a passion for bringing visual and performing arts to the Bricktown canal area.
You can experience a Thursday night concert or Friday night Christmas caroling on the showboat this month, too! Here are the details:
- Tickets for the Thursday night Showboat Concert series are $25 per person, and the Thursday night concert tickets include the pre-event at the Bricktown Brewery. It is a totally family-friendly event, however; if you are over 21, you will get to enjoy two handcrafted beers courtesy of the Bricktown Brewery. Arrive 30 minutes or more prior to your concert time at the Brewery and enjoy the time to drink, eat and socialize. You won’t have to worry about missing the boat as the Art Afloat crew will escort you from Bricktown Brewery straight to the concert cruise.
- The Friday night Caroling Cruises are perfect for families and kids. Check-in at Put a Cork in it Winery and your ticket includes free wine tastings (for ages 21+), plus non-alcoholic drinks and hot chocolate prior to the caroling! The Caroling Cruises are $23 per adult ticket, less for children and active duty military. These special holiday cruises are every Friday evening from Nov. 26 through Dec. 17.
- The dock is accessible by stairs or elevator, and the water taxi is accessible for all ages and abilities; they have a wheelchair ramp for accessibility. There is also a place to park your stroller if you are bringing a little one with you. We found the padded bench seats very comfortable, and they limit the seating on the cruise so that you are not seated too close to others outside your party.
- The December line-up for the Thursday night Showboat Concert Series features live local musicians, and because Art Afloat OKC is a nonprofit, your ticket supports local Oklahoma artists! The $25 ticket includes one of three 40-minute cruises and concerts at 7, 8 or 9 p.m.
- Dec. 9: Christian Pearson
- Dec. 16: Carter Sampson
- Dec. 23: Spunk Adams
- … and more coming in Spring 2022!
Don’t miss out on this unique opportunity to support local artists and sip local drinks! Purchase tickets to either the Thursday Showboat Concert Series or Friday Caroling Cruises here.
Heidi Wright is a homeschooling mom of three children. She is married to Josh, who is an Air Force chaplain. She works as a registered nurse and volunteers as a communications coordinator for a nonprofit organization that serves patients with rare diseases. She is passionate about empowering people with chronic illness to live their best quality of life. Follow her family’s Oklahoma adventures on Instagram @frontporchlearning.
For monthly date night ideas, check out our round-up of the top 5 date night events happening each month.