I'm all about making my life easier in the kitchen. Yes, some of my recipes are labor intensive but 99% of the time my week night dinner preparations are all about throwing together whatever the heck I can find in the pantry.
What I love about these calzones is that I didn't have to go to the trouble to make pizza dough from scratch. My secret ingredient…Pillsbury Artisan Pizza Crust.
- 1 tube Pillsbury Artisan Pizza Crust
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp. Italian blend seasoning
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- olive oil
- Heat about a tablespoon of olive oil in a heavy pan, saute garlic and onion until soft.
- Add ground beef and cook until meat is browned.
- Drain grease.
- Add tomato sauce, red pepper flakes and Italian blend and simmer on low for 15 minutes or until ready to assemble calzones.
- Flour surface and spread dough out. Use a floured rolling pin to roll the dough out to about 1/8 inch thick.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the crust into squares. I was able to get 5 small calzones out of one crust.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese in the middle of the crust, top with meat mixture and sprinkle with a little more cheese.
- Fold over and seal edges together by pressing with a fork.
- Transfer to a greased baking sheet, brush with olive oil and bake at 400 for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Find more from Stephanie at www.hugskissesandsnot.com.