Back to school means more kids are back on the streets. Parents and kids both need to remember how to stay safe during this busy time of year. Safe Kids USA provides the following tips for back-to-school road safety:
- Parents: slow down and be alert in residential areas and near schools. Be especially watchful of kids in rural areas without sidewalks.
- Take the Back-to-School Safety Pledge (found at www.safekids.org): “I pledge to eliminate distractions while I drive, especially in school zones.”
- Children 10 and under should not cross streets unsupervised. Review the safety guidelines with them: Look left, right and left again when crossing, and keep looking as you cross. Walk, do not run, across the street.
- Remind kids to cross streets at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks where possible.
- Children should never run into the street or between parked cars.
- When entering or exiting the school bus, children should always walk in front of the bus where the driver can see them.