On average, Oklahoma City sees 231 sunny days a year. That’s a lot of opportunities to get outside with the family. Here are some of our favorite spots for outdoor fun.
1. Open seasonally, the Wheeler Ferris Wheel beckons visitors with sweeping views of the Oklahoma River and downtown OKC and family-friendly games and activities for before and after rides.
2. The train-themed playground is reason enough to visit Central Park in Moore but plan to explore the scenic walking path and outdoor aquatic center while you’re there.
3. Martin Park Nature Center is newly renovated and boasts hiking trails, wildlife sightings, a playground and an air-conditioned nature center with a handful of interactive exhibits.
4. Although the berry picking season is short (usually late spring/early summer), a trip to Mustang’s Buffalo Creek Berry Farm to pick your own produce is worth the wait.
5. Besides the beautiful surroundings of this urban park, the highlight of the Myriad Botanical Gardens is the seasonal plaza that boasts ice skating each winter and playful splash fountains each summer.
6. If your kids happen to get tired of the three playgrounds at Edmond’s impressive Hafer Park, there’s always the sparkling fishing pond.
7. An abundance of play structures makes Stars & Stripes Park ideal even on crowded weekend days. Plan extra time at the park to explore the paved trail that surrounds Lake Hefner.
8. Many people are aware of RIVERSPORT Adventures’ impressive riverside amenities, but their attractions on Lake Overholser are worth a visit too. A zipline, canoe rentals, a climbing wall and stand-up paddle boards are just of the few things you’ll find.
9. Little River Park and Little River South in Moore offer two pirate-themed play areas, a large splash pad, walking trails and two fishing ponds.
10. There’s no better way to watch the seasons change than from the walking trails winding through the trees at George M. Sutton Wilderness Park in Norman.