Looking for some fun ways to beat the winter blues and make the most of this season? Here are some mom-approved ideas for wintertime family fun.
- Give to someone in need or volunteer. Shift your family’s focus from getting to giving by volunteering. Find a list of ideas here.
- Load up the car and discover a new Oklahoma destination. Oklahoma is home to the longest driveable stretch of Historic Route 66, a wealth of fun museums and so much more. Our Exploring Oklahoma series features a wealth of hot spots and fun tips to help your family explore our great state.
- Throw on your aprons and bake some homemade treats. Whether for you or for friends and family, there is something very warming about a homemade treat.
- Bundle up for a winter nature walk. Take in the crisp, cool air as you hunt for pinecones and animal tracks. Martin Park Nature Center and Arcadia Lake are two great local spots for a stroll. Who knows, you might even spot an eagle nesting in its winter home.
- Create art together. Making art at home is an enriching, educational experience for kids of all ages. Get inspired by our Creator Space series with simple, low-cost, high-yield art-making opportunities.
- Watch eagles soar. Eagles call many of Oklahoma’s state parks their home each winter. Bundle up and spend a day searching for these majestic animals. Bird watching hint: The best time to observe eagles is around sunrise or sunset.
- “Travel” to the Arctic. Nothing brightens a winter day like a visit to see the penguins and snow leopards at the Tulsa Zoo.
- Lace up and hit the ice! A spin around a rink is a fun way to embrace the winter chill. OKC has indoor and outdoor options to choose from during the winter season.
- Treat your crew to hot cocoa. Whip up a pot of your best homemade recipe, stop at a local coffee shop or meet up with a local food truck and enjoy a piping hot cup of this season’s most popular drink.
- Watch a classic film on the big screen. Harkins Theatre in Bricktown brings iconic movies back to the big screen on Tuesdays. Families can enjoy favorites for only $5 a ticket.
- Read a book together. Local storytimes across the metro will be pulling out seasonal favorites and mixing in new tales for families to enjoy.
- Try a new restaurant or recipe. Make new memories together around the table as you warm up your taste buds with something new!
- Pay it forward with a family-inspired random act of kindness. Whether you pick up another’s tab or surprise a neighbor with a special treat, doing for others is a great way to whisk away the winter blues.
- Play some games together. Take the time to slow down and enjoy some friendly competition together.
- Zip down the snowy slopes at LifeShare Winterfest at the Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark. Choose from two different lengths, 75-ft & 145-ft, plus enjoy holiday decor, themed concessions and more.
Find more ideas for family fun, check out our Winter Fun Guides.