As Americans begin to light their fireplaces and warm up to the wonderful aromas of the fall harvest, IHOP restaurants will again salute the season by serving an annual favorite, pumpkin pancakes. Although the family-friendly restaurant chain does not divulge its original recipe, IHOP is sharing tips to enjoy pumpkin pancakes at home this season:
- The batter – Start with your favorite pancake batter recipe and simply add canned pumpkin pie mix.
- Water temperature – When preparing dry pancake mix, it is essential that the water is chilled to less than 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Use ice to bring the temperature of the water down.
- Lumps are good – Do not over mix the pancake batter. Small lumps of flour are what make pancakes tall and fluffy.
- Grill temperature – Use a 350-degree grill and make sure there are no hot or cold spots that can affect cooking time.
- Cook time – The appearance is how you judge when a pancake is ready. When dropping the pancake batter, watch for bubbles to form and for the batter to have a dull appearance. This takes approximately 2.5 minutes. After flipping, cook approximately 2 minutes.
For those who want someone else to do the cooking, pumpkin pancakes, topped with creamy whipped topping, will be available at participating IHOP locations throughout October.