December is known for hustle and bustle. There are so many joyful celebrations and get-togethers. I love being with friends and extended family, but I also really enjoy the opportunities that this time of year provides for quality time as a family. I think it's a great time of year to be intentional about slowing down and doing simple traditions as a family. One simple activity that I always do with my boys is making cinnamon ornaments. It's an easy craft that does require a long list of materials.
There are quite a few recipes for Cinnamon Ornaments, here is the one we tried this year:
1 C. Flour
1/2 C. Salt
1/2 C. Cinnamon
3/4 C very warm water
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Knead dough, adding a little flour/cinnamon if it's too sticky. Roll dough out on wax paper and cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Make a hole in the ornaments before drying. A straw makes a great size hole for stringing. Allow ornaments to dry, flipping over every few hours. May take a day or two to dry. Once the ornaments are dry you can use paint or glitter to decorate, or just string and enjoy. They make great little gifts for friends and family from the kiddos.
5 Festive Family Fun Ideas
1. Have a Christmas Movie night with treats and cocoa.
2. Camp out under the Christmas tree.
3. Wear pajamas to go look for Christmas lights.
4. Cuddle up and read a favorite or new book.
5. Create a family playlist of favorite seasonal music and have a dance party.
5 Favorite Seasonal Children's Books
1. How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Suess
2. Christmas in the Manger by Nola Buck
3. Bear Stays Up for Christmas by Karma Wilson
4. The Christmas Baby by Marion Dane Bauer
5. The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
About the writer: Formerly a school counselor, Megan now spends her days playing trucks, reading dinosaur books, dispensing snacks and adventuring with her three little men; ages 5, 2 and 6 months.