You know what I love? Jiffy corn bread mix. Some foodies may look down their nose at Jiffy, but not this gal. When I was little, my mom and I made this all the time.
We would add an extra egg and about 1/2 a cup of sugar to turn it into corn bread cake and boy, was it yummy. I always try to keep a few boxes on hand in my pantry for those nights when I need a little something extra to go along with dinner.
The night I came up with this recipe I was also planning on making baked sweet potatoes. It occurred to me to create a sweet potato casserole type mixture and combine it with Jiffy. The result was delicious.
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 3 Tbs. butter, softened + 1 Tbs additional for baking dish
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 Tbs. wheat germ
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook sweet potatoes in the microwave until fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- Discard skins and combine sweet potatoes with the butter, apple cider, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. Mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl combine Jiffy mix, milk, egg and wheat germ.
- In an 8×8 baking dish melt 1 Tbs butter in the oven. Once butter is melted, spread it around the dish.
- Drop sweet potato mixture into center of the dish.
- Spread the cornbread mixture around the sweet potatoes.
- Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes or until cornbread is golden brown.
For more from Stephanie, visit her blog at www.hugskissesandsnot.com.