There are days (many days) when the last thing I want to do is cook. When that happens I need to kick start my engine with a little inspiration. Either I turn on the Food Network and hope that Barefoot Contessa is on or listen to a program of The Splendid Table with Lynne Rossetto Kasper. Those two ladies keep me inspired.
This recipe is simple and the ingredients are easy to find. Winning. However, food snobs might want to close your eyes at the second ingredient. You may not consider canned biscuits "real food" but I call them manna from heaven.
- 1-2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 canned biscuits
- 3 carrots, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 can chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup milk or half and half
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 Tbs. butter
- 1 tsp. corn starch dissolved in 1/4 cup water
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or dutch oven. Pat chicken dry and season with salt & pepper.
- Brown in skillet in batches, set aside.
- Add butter to skillet, saute onion, carrots, celery and potatoes until onions are soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth and half & half, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add peas and corn.
- Return chicken to skillet, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Cook biscuits according to package. Just before serving, stir in corn starch to thicken sauce.
- Serve chicken and veggies over biscuits.
Find more from Stephanie at www.hugskissesandsnot.com.