Are you looking for something fun to do with Dad on Father's Day weekend? The OKC metro offers a wide array of fun events and activities—with everything from live theatre to free museum admission to fun crafting events. You can find our complete 2013 Father's Day Fun Guide here, but we wanted to share six of the coolest events coming up for Father's Day weekend. After all, what better gift for Dad than creating fun family memories together?
Here are six fun events to check out:
On Saturday, June 15:
- Head to the Outlet Shoppes at OKC (7624 W. Reno) to meet Iron Man in the Food Court from 10am-2pm. Kids (and dads) can meet Iron Man and share why their dad is a superhero for your chance to win a Father's Day prize pack. Then, treat Dad to lunch at SmashBurger afterwards to make the outing complete. For more info, call 787-3700 or visit www.theoutletshoppesatoklahomacity.com.
- Showcase Dad's inner artist at the Chalk the Walk Festival in the Plaza District (NW 16 between Classen & Penn, OKC). The festival features live music, food and hands-on activities for the whole family. Admission is free and the festival will be held from 10am-2pm. Plus, you can pre-register online at www.familybuildersok.org to take part in the sidewalk chalk contest, open to all ages and experience levels. Each individual sidewalk square is $20, or $30 for entire families with children under 12. Winners picked by local celebrity judges. Proceeds from the event benefit Family Builders in their mission to strengthen Oklahoma families. For more informaiton or to register, call 232-8226 or visit www.familybuildersok.org.
- Take a short road trip and enjoy a behind-the-scenes tour at the Oklahoma Aquarium (300 Aquarium, Jenks). The tour showcases the holding facility for the sea turtles that will move into the Sea Turtle Experience upon its completion, as well as the Siegfried Families Shark Adventure. Tour includes walking and climbing stairs so wheelchairs and strollers cannot be accommodated and the tour is appropriate for ages 5 & up. Tickets are sold at the main admission gate on a first-come, first-served basis—behind-the-scenes tours are $10 for adults and $8 for youth, plus the cost of regualr admision. [Print a discount Kids Pass coupon here!] Tours are offered at 10:30am, 11:30am & 1:30pm. For more information, call 918-296-FISH, or visit www.okaquarium.org.
- Create a special evening with the City of Moore's Daddy Daughter Dance at Andy Alligators Fun Park (3300 Market Place, Norman), especially for Dads and their daughters ages 4-14. Tickets are $5 and can be purchased online or at the door and the dance will be held from 7:30-9pm. For more information or for tickets, visit www.cityofmoore.com/ddd.
On Sunday, June 16 (Father's Day!)
- Enjoy a relaxed evening of outdoor music with a free Summer Breeze Concert at Lions Park in Norman. This week's featured musician is Parker Millsap & Band. The concert begins at 7:30pm, so bring a blanket and enjoy live music. For more information, call 307-9320 or visit www.pasnorman.org.
- Take Dad to explore a museum for free at the following venues:
- National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum, 10am-5pm (478-2250, www.nationalcowboymuseum.org)
- Oklahoma Aquarium, 10am-6pm (918-296-3474, www.okaquarium.org)
- Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum, noon-6pm (235-3313, www.oklahomacitynationalmemorial.org)
- Science Museum Oklahoma (with the donation of a new children’s book for the Boys & Girls Club), 11am-6pm (602-6664, www.sciencemuseumok.org)
- OKC Zoo, 9am-5pm (424-3344, www.okczoo.com)
- Mabee-Gerrer Museum of Art, 1-4pm (878-5300, www.mgmoa.org)
- Myriad Gardens Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory, 11am-5pm (445-7080, www.myriadgardens.org)
- Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History, 1-5pm (325-4712, www.snomnh.ou.edu)
Regardless of what you decide to do to celebrate the special dads, step-dads, grandpas, uncles and other men in your life, we wish you a wonderful, fun-filled day.
Happy Father's Day!