When my son was three years old, he was fascinated with pipes. Fountains, toilets, plumbing…you name it. One of his favorite books was a nonfiction picture book about plumbers that we borrowed from the library. We had borrowed it so many times, I knew just about exactly where to find it in the stacks. While I was looking, one of the fabulous children’s librarians at the Norman Public Library asked me if I needed help. I told her I was just looking for the book about plumbers. She went off and returned with a whole stack of books about pipes, plumbing and waterways. (Did I mention that the children’s librarians in Norman are fabulous?)
In that stack of books was one that would stick with us for a very long time. It was Flush, An Ode to Toilets by Charlie Williams. It is what it sounds like…a hilarious, silly, rhyming romp about commodes. I laughed out loud right along with my kids the first several times we read it.
Shortly after we discovered this gem, we happened to attend a summer program at the Norman Library by none other than Charlie Williams, the Noise Guy and author of Flush. His presentation was one of my favorites of the library programs I have attended. His noises and impressions in the form of stand up comedy for children were extremely entertaining for adults and children alike. I was sad to see it end and could not wait for him to return.
After three years, the wait is over and he will be performing once again at the Pioneer Library System Libraries during the week of June 3-7 with a new show! Mr. Williams will perform at the following libraries:
- Monday, June 3: Norman Library at 2pm & 7pm
- Tuesday, June 4: Purcell Library at 10:30am
- Tuesday, June 4: Moore Library at 2pm & 6:30pm
- Wednesday, June 5: Blanchard Library at 10:30am
- Wednesday, June 5: Newcastle Library at 2pm
- Thursday, June 6: McCloud Library at 11am
- Thursday, June 6: Tecumseh Library at 2pm
- Friday, June 7: Southwest OKC Library at 10am
- Friday, June 7: Shawnee Library at 2pm