New Year’s Eve is upon us, bringing with it nostalgia for the year coming to an end and excitment for the year to come. As my kids get older, New Year’s Eve is gaining ground as a family favorite holiday. The allure of a ‘late night’ of fun easily gets my kids into the spirit. On the heels of a festive, but busy holiday rush, we opt to stay in and countdown to the last bed time of the year, which embs a little closer to midnight each year. I prepare some fun activities and treats for the kids to open each hour and we enjoy some much needed downtime. We play games, have a silly string fights, make silly crafts and toast new beginnings.
Whether your family chooses to stay up late or turn in early, here are five family-friendly ways to ring in the new year:
- If your kids are early to bed, hit up a Noon Year’s Eve celebration and countdown to the last noon of the year!
- Explore a local museum. Several venues have special events planned during winter break.
- If you are looking for something active, burn off some energy by sliding the slopes at LifeShare Winterfest, taking spin around an outdoor ice rink or ringing in the new year at Skate Galaxy’s New Year’s Eve Bash.
- Celebrate with the community at Opening Night in Downtown OKC. This family-friendly New Year’s Eve celebration features music, magic and fireworks. Children can create festive art projects inside the Civic Center Hall of Mirrors.
- Plan a night in with your own countdown! Get inspired with these creative ideas.
Regardless of how you choose to ring in the new year, the staff at MetroFamily wishes you a Happy New Year. We look forward to sharing much more family fun with you in 2020!