I can't get enough of this Strawberry Skillet Cornbread Calhoun Bend Mill mix. Eat your heart out Bisquick, Calhoun Bend is where it's at. So far I have only been able to find this mix at Homeland. Iʼm typically a Target shopper but I stock up on Calhoun whenever I find myself at Homeland for a quick gallon of milk or fish. The seafood counter is soooo much better at Homeland…and the meat counter is better too now that Iʼm thinking about it…but I digress.
This peach cobbler mix is a revelation. Purists may scoff at using a mix but I never claimed to be a food snob or purist. I'm not ashamed to say that I use Aunt Jemima pancake mix on a regular basis and now Calhoun is a part of my repertoire. So there. However, I did had just a few alterations to the mix recipe to make it my own.
- 6 RIPE peaches (I don't bother with peeling them)
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 2-3 Tbs. sugar
- Juice of one lemon
- Mix all of that together and let the juices get to know each other.
- To the batter I add a sprinkle of cinnamon and grate of fresh nutmeg.
- For the rest I follow the directions on the package (although I may have added a tablespoon or two
- more butter than it calls for).
P.S. This post was NOT sponsored by Calhoun Bend Mill. I just really love this mix. However, I think they should add me to their pay roll or at least send me free mix.
Find more from Stephanie at www.hugskissesandsnot.com.