Heat up the grill for a tasty and healthy barbeque feast from Shape Your Future.
Easy BBQ Grilled Chicken
- 4 pounds of chicken of choice (legs, thighs, wings, breast) with the skin on
- 1 cup of BBQ sauce
- Olive oil
- Prepare the grill — one side on high heat, one side on low.
- Coat the chicken in olive oil and sprinkle with salt on all sides.
- Sear both sides of the chicken on the hot side of the grill for 10-12 minutes.
- Move chicken to the other side. If you are using a gas grill, turn to low heat. Cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Brush the meat with barbecue sauce on all sides and continue to cook until juices run clear.
- Add remainder of barbecue sauce to serve.
If you do not have a grill, you can cook chicken in a skillet on medium-high heat until done and juices run clear.
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/4 cups finely ground cornmeal
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8-inch square pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a different medium bowl, whisk butter, egg, and vanilla. Stir in Greek yogurt, mixing out all large lumps. Stir in honey.
- Alternate between adding milk and cornmeal mixture. Begin and end with cornmeal mixture. Stir until incorporated (works best if cornmeal mixture is added in 3 parts).
- Pour batter into the pan and bake for 18-20 minutes. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes before removing and slicing.
Looking for more healthy recipes and activities? Check out this article focused on simple ways to boost your family’s health. We’d like to extend a special thanks to our partners at Shape Your Future for their valuable insights on easy lifestyle changes for improved health.