I'm a fan of coconut. Pina Coladas, Mounds candy bars, coconut in trail mix, fresh coconut. I love it.
However, I realize that it's not a flavor for everyone. If you're thinking "no way" for coconut rice, let me just say that the coconut flavor in this recipe is very subtle. My entire family ate it and never commented or questioned it, and my husband is not a huge coconut fan. The coconut milk gives the rice a little bit of a creamy texture and the slightest hint of coconut. This would be delicious with any Thai dish.
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 Tbs. fresh ginger, minced
- 1 Tbs. curry powder
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- Melt butter in a heavy pot and sauté shallots and ginger until shallots are soft. About 5 minutes.
- Add dry rice to butter, shallots and ginger.
- Stir constantly just to get a little bit of toasting on the rice.
- Add coconut milk and chicken broth.
- Stir to combine and add curry powder and salt.
- Mix in the seasoning very well.
- Cover pot and simmer on low for about 30 minutes, until all the liquid has been absorbed and rice is al dente.
For more from Stephanie, visit her blog at www.hugskissesandsnot.com.