(Yes, that is a little hippo photo bombing this pic or trying to get into the soup. Either way, just keepin' it real here.)
This soup was inspired by my sweet friend Landon. She blogs about eating healthy and her faith journey. Last week she had to make something out of nothing and ended up with a killer soup. I took her advice and took a look in my pantry to see what I could come up with. This one is pretty similar with a few small changes because it's all about what you have in your pantry/fridge to work with. Check it:
- 1-2 lbs. chicken breast
- 36-40 oz. chicken broth
- 16 oz. jar salsa
- 1/2 an onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- olive oil salt & pepper
Have we talked about Tyson frozen chicken yet? It is my new best friend. It comes in a two pound bag in either whole breasts or tenders. It's flash frozen so they aren't all frozen together in one solid clump. The tenders thaw in a jiff and the best part…a 2 pound bag of frozen chicken is about the same price as 1 lb. package of fresh chicken breasts. When they thaw out they are the same quality as a fresh package of chicken. I love them and always have a bag in my freezer ready to go. I know that sounded like a commercial for Tyson but I promise they didn't pay me to promote their chicken. They don't know who I am. To them I'm just another consumer.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Place chicken on a foil line baking tray.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast in oven for about 10 minutes per side.
- Remove from oven, chop chicken into bit size pieces (reserve juices) and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add garlic and onion and cook until soft.
- Add salsa, chicken broth and chicken.
- Bring to a boil then turn down heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until your ready to eat.
- When ready to serve add spinach, sprinkle with a little bit of course salt and put the lid on for one minute.
- Stir the spinach down into the soup and dish it up.
I like mine with a sprinkle grated cheese and a side of crusty french bread. It would also be awesome with tortilla chips or Fritos. If you want to make it go further add a bag of egg noodles or rigatoni pasta. Anyway you take it, it will warm you up!
Find more from Stephanie at www.hugskissesandsnot.com.