Making holiday memories with your family doesn’t have to be expensive. As the chaos of the holiday season ensues, you can create memories with your family though holiday traditions that bring you closer to the spirit of the holidays.
Taking part in meaningful traditions helps your child to understand that the most important things during the holiday season are being together as a family, helping others and spending time on activities that have importance and significance.
Fun ideas for free or low-cost family traditions include:
- Go to a free holiday concert, recital, or other community event. (Find a great list at www.metrofamilymagazine.com/holiday-fun)
- Take part in a toy, food, or clothing drive and help others in need in your community.
- Plan a potluck holiday meal where relatives share favorite dishes and desserts, and exchange favorite recipes and the history behind them.
- Create unique wrapping paper for your gifts and personalize it for each person.
- Read the same book or watch the same holiday together each year—and don’t forget the popcorn and hot chocolate!
- Select a new ornament to occupy a special place on the tree. Choose an ornament that reflects the past year, a significant life event or plans for the future.
- Sing favorite holiday songs. If you have musical family members, ask them to play along.
- Write a letter to yourself or your children, to be opened in one year, two years or five years later. Be sure to include your wishes, dreams, thoughts and hopes for the coming year(s), as well as your favorite memories from the past year.