Since Oklahoma City is conveniently located in the center of the state, many of Oklahoma’s top road trip attractions are just a short distance away. We’ve rounded up some of our top Oklahoma road trip ideas for families looking for fun in close proximity. These trips on a tankful are sure to keep the entire family entertained.
- Route 66: The longest driveable stretch of Route 66 in the country winds through Oklahoma. Get your kids involved in the road trip nostalgia by setting out on these top family-friendly stops along the Mother Road.
- Historic Schoolhouses: There are a plethora of one-room schoolhouses in Oklahoma. These historic and mostly free sites take Oklahomans back to a time when education was a luxury and not necessarily available to all residents.
- Pawnee: This quaint town comes alive every summer with the annual Pawnee Bill Wild West Show. Whether you catch the show or not, there are plenty of kid-friendly attractions in town to keep your little ones entertained.
- Kid-Friendly Museums: We rounded up some of our favorite museums that are just a short distance from the Oklahoma City metro. These kid-friendly destinations are perfect for a day trip.
- Waterfall Hikes: As temperatures rise, there’s no better road trip than one that ends at a refreshing waterfall. These waterfall hikes scattered throughout Oklahoma are sure to stun and impress your little travelers.
- Grand Lake: Summers are made for lake trips and Grand Lake in Grove is just a short trip from the OKC metro. We’ve provided some mom-approved tips for your next visit.
- Tulsa: Just a couple of hours away, Tulsa boasts endless mom-approved fun. Check out this Tulsa travel guide from local mom and TulsaKids web & social media editor Tara Rittler.
- Dallas: If you’re up for a little longer trek, Dallas delivers endless fun and is just a few hours away. We’ve rounded up our top three reasons to visit this city with kids so you can make the most out of your trip.
- Oklahoma State Parks: There are brilliant state parks scattered in every direction of the Oklahoma City metro and each boasts incredible nature experiences for kids. Find out which ones we prefer for families before you set off on your next park adventure.
- Sallisaw: Located just a couple of hours from Oklahoma City, this small town provides a perfect combination of indoor and outdoor fun to keep kids happy all day long.
If you are looking for more Oklahoma road trips, check out our vast collection of Sooner State getaways.