Pot of Gold
What better way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day than with a sparkling pot of gold? Now, if only it was real....
- Black and yellow construction paper
- Hole punch
- White Paper
- Take black construction paper and cut out a pot. (Need help getting it just right? Cut a circle with a flat top.)
- Use the hole punch to make a large number of dots with the yellow construction paper.
- Glue the dots on the top of the pot.
- Then, draw a rainbow on the white paper
- Cut out the rainbow and glue it to the pot of gold.
- While you’re making your rainbow, talk about the different colors. Introduce your child to "Roy G. Biv": red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet.
- Talk about each color and write the color on top of each band of your rainbow.
To expand upon this craft:
- Research what causes a rainbow. Describe to your children how sunlight can pass through the raindrops at a proper angle, splitting the light into its spectrum—the colors of the rainbow.
- For a fun game, make several little pots of gold and hide them around the house. Let the kids search for them and give a special treat for finding them all.
Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Find more creative things for your family at Terri's Creative Parenting blog.