As the calendar turned to October, the excitement for Halloween in our house has started to build. I’ve never been big into the Halloween scene, but now that I’m a mom I enjoy getting in on the fun. We keep it pretty light and cutesy around here…we are really just in it for the candy! So we loved this cute little candy corn craft. My 3-year-old dubbed him “candy corn man” and thought he was the gingerbread man of Halloween. We even took him along with us to the park.
- White Paper Plates
- Yellow and Orange paint
- Googly eyes
- Construction Paper
Paint a ring of orange and yellow around the plate, leaving the center white. Then cut the plate into triangles. Then have fun creating a candy corn character. We added googly eyes, drew a smile and added legs and arms out of black construction paper. For the arms and legs we cut strips out of black construction paper and folded like an accordion. We glued the arms and legs on and then added hands and boots. To make a girl candy corn I think it would be sweet to add a little ribbon bow!
Fun (not-so-spooky) Halloween Books:
- Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson
- Click Clack Boo by Doreen Cronin and Betsy Lewin
- Pumpkin Trouble by Jan Thomas
- Duck and Goose Find a Pumpkin by Tad Hills
- Just Say Boo by Susan Hood
Other Festive Halloween Activities:
- Have a fun movie night- try It’s a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, Room on the Broom or Curious George Boofest
- Have a monster mash kitchen dance party
- Read a stack of Halloween books outside with festive treats
- Surprise or “Boo” someone with someone treats
- Make playdough pumpkins using orange playdoh, black buttons and googly eyes
About the writer: Formerly a school counselor, Megan now spends her days playing trucks, reading dinosaur books, dispensing snacks and adventuring with her three little men; ages 5, 2 and 6 months.