Reach Out and Read Oklahoma, part of a nationwide school readiness program, is encouraging Oklahomans to read holiday books to young children and give the gift of knowledge this holiday season.
“The holidays are the perfect time for families to come together and read,” said Steve Davis, executive director of Reach Out and Read Oklahoma. “Spending quality time together reading every day can help stimulate a child’s development, prepare them for learning in the classroom and lead to success later in life.”
Reach Out and Read recommends the following books to read to children this holiday season:
* “My First Christmas” by Tomie dePaola
* “The Night Before Christmas: A Visit from St. Nicholas” illustrated by Mike Terrell
* “The Christmas Baby” by Marion Dane Bauer
* “Hanukkah Moon” by Deborah Da Costa
* “My First Hanukkah Board Book” by DK Publishing
* “Moishe's Miracle: A Hanukkah Story” by Laura Krauss Melmed
* “Seven Days Of Kwanzaa” by Melrose Cooper
* “My First Kwanzaa Book” by Deborah Chocolate
* “The Children's Book of Kwanzaa: A Guide to Celebrating the Holiday” by Dolores Johnson
In addition to encouraging parents to read to their children, Reach Out and Read has partnered with the Metro Oklahoma City Literacy Coalition, which strives to get all ages reading, to encourage parents to read for themselves. The more a child sees a parent reading, the more the child is encouraged to read.
Find more information about Metro Oklahoma City Literacy Coalition.
About Reach Out and Read Oklahoma
Reach Out and Read targets children who are at the greatest risk for school failure and illiteracy and provides them with high-quality children’s books. The program provides these children’s parents with reading tips and guidance on the importance of reading aloud. Fourteen research studies confirm that families served by the program read together more often, and their children enter kindergarten better prepared to succeed, with larger vocabularies, stronger language skills and a six-month developmental age over their peers. Reach Out and Read is a national partner of Let’s Read. Let’s Move., an administration-wide effort led by First Lady Michelle Obama, the Corporation for National and Community Service and five federal agencies. Learn more about the organization at www.reachoutandreadok.org.