April is Made in Oklahoma Month, and the Made in Oklahoma (MIO) Coalition is encouraging Oklahomans to support local companies and invest in Oklahoma’s economy in celebration of the month.
To kick off this year’s statewide celebration, Gov. Mary Fallin and her family enjoyed Breakfast Bites, Firecracker Spoon Bread and Shortbread Cookies with Strawberries made with MIO products.
These recipes were created by David Henry with The Coach House and include ingredients from five MIO Coalition members – Shawnee Milling Company, JC Potter Sausage Company, Braum’s Ice Cream and Dairy Stores, Lopez Foods and Hiland Dairy Company:
- One (six-ounce) package Shawnee Mills Buttermilk Pancake Mix
- Eight ounces regular JC Potter Sausage
- Three ounces shredded pepper jack cheese
- One egg
- One-fourth cup Hiland or Braum’s milk
- In a mixing bowl, stir together all the ingredients and shape into one-inch balls.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Makes 24 (one ounce) bites.
Firecracker Spoon Bread
- One and three-fourth cups Shawnee Mills white corn meal
- One tablespoon baking powder
- One teaspoon baking soda
- Two eggs
- Two and one-fourth cup Hiland or Braum’s buttermilk
- One package frozen pre-cooked Country Cousin Sausage thawed and finely cut
- One cup frozen sweet corn
- One-fourth cup finely diced red pepper
- One tablespoon rinsed and chopped parsley
- Two tablespoons finely diced jalapeno
- Eight ounces shredded sharp cheese
- Place seasoned skillet in 350 degree oven.
- In a bowl, combine white corn meal, baking powder, baking soda, eggs and buttermilk to make the batter. Add sausage, sweet corn, diced red pepper, parsley, jalapeno and shredded cheese.
- Remove skillet from oven, and fill with mixture. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick when inserted still has a bit of the batter on it when removed. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Shortbread Cookies with Strawberries
- Seven ounces Hiland or Braum’s butter
- Five and one-fourth ounce powdered sugar
- Four egg yolks
- One whole egg
- Pinch of salt
- Eleven ounces whole wheat flour
- Sixteen large strawberries
- One-forth cup vanilla-infused sugar
- Two tablespoons Garden Club Strawberry Jam
- Hiland whipping cream, whipped
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- Cream together butter and powdered sugar.
- Beat in egg yolks and one whole egg.
- Combine wet mixture with dry ingredients and stir together until blended.
- Divide batter into one ounce balls, pat flat by hand and place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake 15 min or until brown.
- Cut sixteen large strawberries lengthwise into eight small strips per berry.
- Toss with one-fourth cup of vanilla-infused sugar* and two tablespoons of Garden Club Strawberry Jam and let sit for one hour.
- Whip one pint of Hiland whipping cream for topping.
Place one cookie on plate, top with a large spoon of strawberry mixture, a dollop of whipped cream and another cookie. Garnish with a sprig of mint, if desired, and enjoy!
*Vanilla-infused sugar can be made by adding dried vanilla bean pods to sugar. Store mixture in a sealed container; when ready to use, discard the vanilla bean pods.
For a full list of MIO companies, retailers, restaurants and recipes visit www.miocoalition.com.