Sometimes, when the sun shines in Oklahoma City after a long winter, I feel like we’re all coming out of hibernation to rediscover our communities.
You can always find 10+ ways to do that each weekend with our Weekend Picks. And our staff at MetroFamily will be out at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art this Sunday, March 31, for Family Day, which is free and open to the public. I love that art becomes accessible to families through events like that one. We’re happy to support it as a media sponsor but more than that, as a place to meet our readers. Come by our table from noon to 5 and color a crown with us!
Another way we meet our readers and bring services and art and people together is through Kids Fest, our annual family event at the Cox Convention Center.
The day is all about seeing local performers, finding out which services in your area work for you, from swim lessons to Girl Scouts to education alternatives like K12.com and enjoying the day with your children.
You may have seen our Top 10 Reasons to Attend Kids Fest in March’s edition of the magazine, which include getting your face painted by Kaleidoscope Arts, getting your photo taken with princesses and Star Wars characters and watching cultures come together on our stage through dance and music.
Here are four reasons to pre-register for the event:
- Streamline your tickets and prize registration: Don’t worry about making the line and paying at the show. Register here and get your payment and prize registration done all at once.
- Shorter lines with our flash the pass method: Kids Fest is always a terrific crowd. Get in faster by going through the shorter pre-registration line. We’ll check you in through the Eventbrite Organizer app. Just show your tickets on your phone and you’re set to go.
- You’re signed up for door prizes, including our grand prize: We’re giving away a two-night stay at the Hilton Anatole in Dallas. Our door prizes also include a month of Lil Kickers soccer at SoccerCity OKC, swim lessons at Aqua-Tots and Goldfish Swim School, a 10-visit pass to Okie Kids Playground, gift cards, art supplies and more prizes that our vendors are contributing daily. We’ll give them out during the show but you have to pre-register to be eligible and be present to win.
- Get $5 off a Teddy Bear Mobile stuffed animal: We’ll send a coupon to our pre-registered participants a few days before the show so you can make a stuffed animal on-site with your child.
And here three reasons Kids Fest is especially worth your time to attend this year:
- Come experience our new Maker’s Fair for STEAM activities: This area is all about hands-on fun and learning by doing. Come make a self-portrait with staff from the Oklahoma City Museum of Art, see a science experiment with windmills done by Kid Wind, find out how alpaca wool is woven into yarn and so much more!
- Fees are intentionally low: Kids get in free and adults are $7 but anything else after that is less than obligatory. I know it’s hard sometimes when my kids are pulling me all directions at fairs and festivals and everything has a separate cost. Facepainting, feeding animals at the Chester’s Party Barn petting zoo and separate purchases like Teddy Bear Mobile or other items you would buy are the things that would cost extra if you choose to participate. There’s no charge for inflatables or any of the other hands-on activities. For less than the cost of a movie ticket, you can have an amazing afternoon together.
- Performances stand out for kids: This year’s lineup is full of magic and music. Kids tend to remember those experiences and it’s a good way for them to see what’s possible beyond the usual after-school activities.
Enjoy your spring weekends. We hope to see you next Saturday at Kids Fest!