Top Family Events in the Oklahoma City Metro
September 11-14, 2014
MetroFamily's Weekend Picks is your go-to source for weekend family fun. Whether you live in OKC, Edmond, Moore, Norman or nearby, we'll help you find the best weekend activities for your family. Be sure to fill out the form at the end of the page to receive Weekend Picks by email every Thursday!
Our Top 10 Weekend Picks
Oklahoma State Fair (3001 General Pershing) features a large carnival, a variety of midway rides & games, exhibits throughout the fairground buildings, unique shopping opportunities, as well as Disney on Ice, contests, concerts, arts & livestock competitions. Adults $10; children (ages 6-11) $5; children (5 and under) free; season passes $30. September 11-21. 8am-10pm. 948-6800.
- Macbeth presented by Oklahoma Shakespeare in the Park at Myriad Gardens Water Stage (301 W Reno) features the story of Macbeth’s ambition to be King of Scotland & how it leads him into a nightmarish world of evil, deceit & murder. $15 general admission, $10 students/seniors/military. September 11-27, Thursday-Sunday, 8-11pm. 235-3700.
- FREE Norman’s 2nd Friday Art Walk 2014 (downtown Norman) is a monthly celebration of the arts connecting the downtown arts district with galleries, live performance halls, food trucks & more. Friday, 6-10pm. 360-1162.
- FREE Movie Night at Mitch Park. Hook will be shown inside the MAC Building (2901 Marily Williams Dr). $1 concessions available for purchase. Friday, 7pm. 359-4630.
- FREE LIVE on the Pawza in the Plaza District (NW 16th between Classen & Penn) celebrates pets with local art, live music & shopping. Friday, 7-11pm.
- Bright Night of Chemistry at Science Museum Oklahoma (2100 NE 52nd) provides an overnight experience where children are encouraged to be a “mad scientist” with live shows, hands-on projects and more. One adult required per six children; bring own sleeping bag. Starts at 7pm Friday night and ends at 7am Saturday morning. $45 for non-member child; $35 for SMO members; $25 for adults. 602-3760.
- Hoof’n It 5K at the Boathouse District (725 S Lincoln Blvd) benefits Sunset Therapeutic Riding Center & features a 5K & 10K run as well as a Family Fun Trot. 5K & Family Fun Trot, $30; 10K, $35. Saturday, 8:30am.
- Jazzy Jos Junk Show at the Crowne Plaza OKC (2945 NW Expy) features a full bar, OKC mobile DJs, a silent auction as well as $1,000+ in giveaways. More than 40 vendors, handmade crafts & vintage boutiques. Saturday, 10am-7pm.
- Choose your favorite football team: OU Sooners play Tennessee at Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium (180 W Brooks, Norman) Saturday, 7pm, Tickets start at $105. OSU Cowboys play Texas-San Antonio at Boone Pickens Stadium (700 Hall of Fame, Stillwater) Saturday, 6pm. Tickets start at $75.
- FREE Wiggle Out Loud: A Family Music Festival at Bicentennial Park (500 Couch Dr) features live music, health and fitness-related activities, vendors offering a variety of healthy foods & beverages as well as art organizations & more. Performers include The Doo Dads, the Sugar Free Allstars, Race Dance Company & more. Sunday, 11am-6pm.
Find dozens of great family events in our searchable online calendar.
5 Events Not to Miss Next Week:
- Kelli O’ Hara and Ted Sperling at Armstrong Auditorium (14400-B S Bryant, Edmond). Enjoy a night out with four-time Tony-award nominee Kelli O’ Hara in Broadway’s Classic Hits, hosted and conducted by Tony Award-winner Ted Sperling. Monday, 9pm. 285-1010.
- FREE Art After Noon at the Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art (555 Elm, Norman) includes abstract expressionist art discussion presented by Susan Baley, FJJMA Director of Education. Bring lunch; dessert and drinks are provided. Tuesday, 12:30pm. 325-3272.
- “Everlasting Tour” at OCCC features Grammy Award-winner Sandi Patty. $25-45. Tuesday, 7:30pm. 682-7579.
- National Cavalry Competition at Fort Reno (7107 W Cheyenne, El Reno) features participants from around the world in the National Cavalry Competition, sponsored by the US Cavalry Association. Wednesday-Sunday, 9am-4pm. Purchase tickets at the Visitors Center. Adults $8; seniors $7; children $5. 262-3987.
- FREE Shop Good’s Mustache Bash is a block party/fundraising event held near the retail store Shop Good (3 NW 9th St) and benefiting the non-profit ReMerge. Live music, activities for kids, mustache contest and more. All ages. Thursday, 5pm-midnight. 702-0517.