Top Family Events this Weekend in the Oklahoma City Metro
May 23-26, 2013
MetroFamily's Weekend Picks is your go-to source for weekend family fun.
Whether you live in OKC, Edmond, Moore, Norman or nearby, we'll help you find the best weekend activities for your family. Be sure to fill out the form at the end of the page to receive Weekend Picks in your inbox every Thursday!
Our Top 10 Weekend Picks
OK Chefs Relief at the Myriad Gardens Restaurant features a pop-up restaurant with several local chefs. Event includes a three-course meal with 100% of proceeds going to the Red Cross. First-come, first-served. No charge for the meal, but $35 donation requested. Sunday, 11am-10pm. 445-7080, www.myriadgardens.org.
- FREE Admission at the Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History (2401 Chautauqua, Norman) as a relief from the devastation caused by the May 19-20 tornadoes. Monday-Saturday, 10am-5pm; Sunday, 1-5pm, through June. 325-4712, www.snomnh.ou.edu.
- FREE Admission at Science Museum Oklahoma (2100 NE 52nd, OKC) for those displaced by tornadoes this week. Proof of residence from the affected areas is requested. Thursday & Friday. 9am-5pm. 602-3760, www.sciencemuseumok.org.
- Skate for Moore at Skate Galaxy (5800 NW 36th, OKC) helps collect funds and needed items for victims of the Moore tornado. 100% of proceeds benefit tornado relief. Friday, 4-7pm. 605-2758, www.skategalaxyokc.com.
- FREE Admission to the Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory in celebration of the 25-year anniversary of the opening of the Myriad Botanical Gardens. Saturday, 9am-5pm. www.myriadgardens.org.
- Rub-A-Dub Race for Rescues at Stars & Stripes Park (3701 S Lake Hefner) raises money for local animal rescues. Includes 5K, a 1-mile fun run/walk, children’s bike parade, dog wash & more. Proceeds will benefit the Tornado Relief Fund. $25/5K, $10/1-mile (add $5 for dog, includes one dog wash). Saturday, 8am-4pm. www.rubbadubrescue.com.
- Chuck Wagon Gathering & Children’s Cowboy Festival at the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum features cowboy food for folk s to sample, stage entertainment, stagecoach and covered wagon rides, weaving, rope making, hands-on activities and more. See website for schedule of events. Saturday & Sunday, 10am-4pm. 478-2250, www.nationalcowboymuseum.org.
- FREE 2013 Paseo Arts Festival in the Paseo Arts District showcases original works of visual artists along with performance art and live music. Includes children’s area, food vendors and more. Saturday-Sunday, 10am-8pm; Monday, 10am-6pm. 525-2688, www.thepaseo.com.
- Opening Day at Pelican Bay Swim Complex (1034 S Bryant, Edmond). Saturday, 11am-6pm. www.edmondok.com/parks.
- FREE Day Hiking as a Family at the Martin Park Nature Center (5000 W Memorial) teaches how to take an enjoyable & stress-free family hike, including equipment, first aid & how to keep younger children engaged. Saturday, 3-4pm. 755-0676, www.okc.gov/parks/martin_park/index.html.
Find dozens of great family events in our searchable online calendar!
5 Events Not to Miss Next Week:
- Tasty Tuesdays at the Myriad Gardens Children’s Garden teaches fun facts about edible gardening. Children will learn about specific vegetables, plant seedlings and seeds then take them home. Children under 7 should be accompanied by an adult. FREE for members, $5 nonmembers. Tuesday, May 28, 10-11am. 445-7080, www.myriadgardens.org.
- Oklahoma City Barons vs. Grand Rapids Griffins at the Cox Convention Center in the Western Conference Finals of the Calder Cup Playoffs. FREE admission on Wednesday for anyone displaced by the tornado. T-shirts available for purchase to benefit recovery efforts. $11+. Wednesday, May 29 & Friday, May 31, 7pm. 232-4625, www.okcbarons.com.
- The Wise Guys Concert at the Myriad Gardens features a family-friendly outdoor concert as well as food trucks and vendors. Donations of specified items and monetary gifts will be collected to benefit the victims of the recent tornadoes in Oklahoma. $5 suggested donation. Friday, May 31, 8-10pm. 445-7080, www.myriadgardens.org.
- 3rd Annual Battle of the Burger at David Stanley Chevrolet of Norman features a burger grilling contest, activities, entertainment & more. Proceeds benefit OK Kid’s Korral. Saturday, June 1, 12-4pm. www.battleoftheburger.com.