2012 Independence Day Fun Guide
Celebrate our Independence with Family Fun!
MetroFamily's Guide to Independence Day Fun includes a list of fireworks displays, festivals, parades and other family-friendly celebrations taking place across the metro. So, put on your red, white and blue, light some sparklers, and get ready to "Ooh!" and "Ahh!" as you enjoy some patriotic fun with your family.
Be safe and have fun!
[Editor's Note: This is a working list, so please check back often for new events and activities. Know of an event that should be included? Email us with information!]
- FREE Blue Star Museums provides FREE admission for active military members and their families to participating museums across the country from Memorial Day through Labor Day. Available to military ID holder and five immediate family members. See website for details and full list of participating locations. www.bluestarfam.org/Programs/Blue_Star_Museums.
- FREE Admission at the Mabee-Gerrer Museum of Art (1900 W MacArthur, Shawnee) throughout the months of June, July and August.Tuesday-Saturday, 10am-5pm; Sunday, 1-4pm. 878-5300, www.mgmoa.org.
June 23 • July 4
- Liberty Fest in Edmond is a week long celebration featuring 11 family-oriented events, including a concert, road rally, kite fest, rodeo, car show, food fest, pageant, parade fireworks & more. Named by CNN & USA Today as one of the top 10 July 4th festivals in the US. See website for complete schedule of events. 340-2527, www.libertyfest.org.
June 30 • Saturday
- FREE Crafts for Kids “Star Spangled Shaker” at Lakeshore Learning (6300 N May, OKC) invites kids to create a patriotic shaker for Independence Day. Ages 3 & up. 11am-3pm. 858-8778, www.lakeshorelearning.com.
- Flag Session at Paint Your Art Out (100 N Broadway, Edmond) invites guests to create a masterpiece on canvas. Preregister online. $35. 2pm. 513-5333, www.paintyourartout.net.
- Fireworks Cruise on the Oklahoma River departs from Regatta Park landing and features appetizers and a cash bar as well as a spectacular fireworks display. Reservations are required. $29 per person. 9:30-11pm. 702-7755, www.okrivercruises.com.
June 30 • July 1
- Stars & Stripes River Festival in the Boathouse District will include children's activities, bounce houses, face painting, games, Olympic Day, food and beverage vendors, live music, fireworks and more. www.oklahomariverevents.org.
July 1 • Sunday
- OKC Redhawks vs. Memphis Redbirds baseball at the Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark. 7:05pm. $5 & up. 218-1000, www.okcredhawks.com. Other home games this month: 7/1-3, 12-15, 24-31.
- FREE Rockets Over Rhema at Rhema Bible College in Broken Arrow features a car show, inflatable games, outdoor concert, mechanical bull, rock climbing wall, face painting, concessions & one of the largest fireworks displays in the area at 10pm. 918-258-1589, www.rocketsoverrhema.com.
July 3 • 4
- Art in the Park 2012: A Celebration in the Heartland at Buck Thomas Park (1903 NE 12, Moore) features live music, children’s tent, a giant sand pit, food, wineries, fireworks, arts, crafts and more. 793-4332, www.cityofmoore.com.
- FREE Freedom Fest 2012 at Yukon City Park (2200 S Holly, Yukon) & Chisholm Trail Park (500 W Vandament, Yukon) features live music, fireworks, car show, United Freestyle Stunt Team Show and more. 350-3911, www.cityofyukonok.gov.
July 3 • Tuesday
- FREE 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular at Eufaula Cove in Eufaula invites everyone to relax and enjoy a spectacular fireworks display from the shores of beautiful Lake Eufaula. View by shore or from your boat! Fireworks begin at sundown. 918-689-2791, www.eufaulachamberofcommerce.com.
- FREE 4th of July Celebration at Claremore Lake Park in Claremore celebrates 4th of July with inflatables, food, entertainment, fireworks and more. 6-10:30pm. 918-342-2522, www.visitclaremore.com.
- FREE Red, White & Boom at State Fair Park features the OKC Philharmonic and Susan Powell as they perform popular and patriotic musical favorites. Fireworks begin at approximately 10pm. 8:30pm. 842-5387, www.okcphilharmonic.org.
July 4 • Wednesday
- Stars & Stripes Forever 5K at Lake Hefner-Stars & Stripes Park invites runners to wear red, white and blue for the chance to win a prize. Benefits the Silver Strings of Putnam City. Register online. $25. 7am. 620-0773, www.ssf5k.com.
- 4th of July Fireworks Extravaganza in Bricktown features fireworks visible from numerous locations in downtown OKC. 9:30pm. www.welcometobricktown.com.
- Way Back Wednesdays at the OKC Zoo features $1 admission per person plus dollar concession and ride deals. Children 2 & under are FREE. Wednesdays in July & August. 424-3344, www.okczoo.com.
- FREE 2012 Bethany Freedom Festival at Eldon Lyon Park in Bethany celebrates our nation's independence with pony rides, inflatables, carnival rides, games, festival food, car show, shopping, a concert featuring the Chris Henson Band and fireworks. 789-2146, www.cityofbethany.org.
- FREE Cajun Festival at the Grove Civic Center in Grove features Cajun music, food, dancing & more. 918-786-8896, www.grandlakefestivals.com.
- Old-Fashioned Independence Day Celebration in Marlow will kick off with a parade at 9:15am & progress to a full day of family fun in Redbud Park including arts & crafts, game booths, rides, various food vendors, historic re-enactments & fireworks at 10pm. 580-658-2212, www.marlowchamber.org.
- 4th of July Celebration and World Champion Watermelon Seed Spitting Contest at Wacker Park in Pauls Valley features food, live entertainment, watermelon seed spitting contest and fireworks. www.paulsvalley.com.
- Tulsa Freedom Fest at four activity locations along the Arkansas River in Tulsa features food, FREE Kids Zone at River West Festival Park, face-painting, rock climbing, inflatables, picnic, fireworks & more. See website for complete schedule and locations. www.riverparks.org/freedomfest.
- FREE July 4th Games at Courthouse Square in Pawnee includes a variety of games for all ages including turtle races, water balloons, egg tosses, sack races, tug-of-war, tricycle races, bubble gum blowing contests, parade, fireworks and more. Activities begin at 8am, Fireworks at 10pm. 918-762-2108, www.cityofpawnee.com.
- 4th of July Celebration at Redbud Park in Marlow begins with a parade at 9:15am which leads to the park where the celebration offers arts & crafts, game booths, rides and foods of all kinds as well as great entertainment. The day closes with a huge fireworks display at 10pm. 9:15am-10pm. 580-658-2212, www.marlowchamber.org.
- 10th Annual Hometown Celebration at Adventure Quest and Leonardo's (200 E Maple, Enid) is old fashioned fun for the entire family including games and prizes including sack races, apple bobbing, face painting and turtle races. . $3 members, $6 non-members (includes all day museum and playground admission). 10am-12pm. 580-233-2787, www.leonardos.org.
- FREE Honor America Day at Randlett Park in Anadarko features games for the whole family, food, music, entertainment and a fireworks display at dusk.. 6-10pm. 247-6651, www.anadarko.org.
- 4th of July Festival in Seminole is a day of family fun including food, games, entertainment and fireworks. 382-3640, www.seminoleOKchamber.org.
- Stars & Stripes Fun Fest at the Southeast Expo Center in McAlester features live entertainment, games, fireworks and more. 4pm. Fireworks at dusk. 918-420-3976, www.cityofmcalester.com.
- FREE Independence Day Wild Turkey Fest at Jack Gordon Park in Nowata includes a wild turkey drop, turtle races, food, watermelon feed, silent auction, games, entertainment, live music, fireworks and more. 918-273-2301, www.nowatachamber.net.
- FREE Celebrate America in Downtown Poteau features water slides, games, live music, food, fireworks after dark and more. 4-9:30pm. 918-647-9178, www.poteauchamber.com.
- FREE Poppin' in the Park at City Park in Sayre is an old-fashioned fireworks display at dusk. 580-928-3386, www.sayrechamber.com.
- FREE Freedom Fest Fireworks at Lake Ponca begin at 9:50pm. 580-767-0432, www.poncacitytourism.com.
- FREE 37th Annual Norman Day at Reaves Park in Norman includes pony rides, inflatables, nickel find, baby crawl & toddler trot, FREE watermelon, food vendors, live music, fireworks & more. Music by the John Arnold Band & Banana Seat. Fireworks at 9:45pm.4pm. www.normanfun.com.
- FREE Chickasha Freedom Fireworks at Shannon Springs Park (2500 9th St, Chickasha) will be synced to music on KWCO-KOOL 105.5FM and concessions will be available. No outside fireworks are allowed inside the City Limits, including the park. Fireworks at dusk. 224-0787, www.chickashacalendar.com.
- FREE 4th of July Jubilee at Waynoka Rodeo Grounds in Waynoka features games, food, home-made ice cream, Mr. & Miss Firecracker and fireworks after dark. 580-824-1717, www.waynokachamber.com.
- FREE 4th of July Fireworks Extravaganza at Riverview Park in Miami features live entertainment, concessions, turtle races, hot dog eating contest, children's activities, games and fireworks. 5-10pm. 918-542-4481, www.miamiokchamber.com.
- 4th of July Festival in Seminole is a day of family fun including food, games, entertainment and fireworks. Includes the Annual Seminole Freedom 5K Run/Walk.. 4-10pm. 382-3640, www.seminoleOKchamber.org.
- FREE Fourth of July Celebration at Blinn Park in Tonkawa includes a harvest walk, parade, games for all ages, live entertainment, fireworks and more. Fireworks at dusk. Begins at 10am. 580-628-2220, www.tonkawachamber.org.
- FREE Tenkiller Fireworks Extravaganza at Lake Tenkiller in Talequah near the dam at dusk. 918-457-4403, www.laketenkiller.com.
- FREE 4th of July Fireworks in Altus at the open area east of the reservoir on Falcon Rd. Fireworks at dusk. 580-482-0210, www.altuschamber.com.
- FREE 4th of July Fireworks at Lake Murray State Park features music, food booths and fireworks. 580-223-4044.
- FREE 4th of July Fireworks at JB Earp Stadium in Jay. Fireworks at dusk. 918-253-8698, www.jayokchamber.com.
- FREE Fireworks Display at Ackley Park in Elk City. 580-225-0207, www.visitelkcity.com.
July 7 • Saturday
- FREE Freedom Fest 2012 at the Claremore Expo Center (400 Veteran's Pkwy, Claremore) features an auto show, craft and food vendors, live music, children's activities, games and more. 10am-10pm. 918-697-8625, www.freedomfests.com.
- FREE 1st Annual Independence Day Festival at Purcell City Lake features food, shopping, live music, chili cook-off, pie eating contest, car show, volleyball, dodge ball, horseshoe, fireworks and a Kid Zone with bounce houses, face painting, sno-cones and trampolines. 11am-10pm. 527-3093, www.theheartofok.com.