2012 Father's Day Fun Guide
Celebrate all things dad with these fun activities taking place in the OKC metro over Father's Day weekend! MetroFamily's Guide to Father's Day Fun includes family-friendly events and activities that will help give dad the most memorable Father's Day yet.
[Editor's Note: This is a working list, so please check back often for new listings. Have an event you'd like to see included? Email us with information!]
June 5 • Tuesday
- FREE Family Night Out "It's All About Dad" at Quail Springs Mall (2501 W Memorial, OKC) features activities for the whole family including make Dad a keychain, caricature artists, face painters, balloon artist, magic show, cookies and prize wheel. While supplies last. 5:30-7:30pm. www.quailspringsmall.com.
June 10 • 17
- Father's Day Special at the Melting Pot (4 E Sheridan, OKC) offers a dad-approved, all-you-can-eat Father's Day special includes cheese fondue, salad, "meat lovers" entree selection, Caramel Nut Milk Chocolate Fondue, family picture in a frame and Garlic and Wine Seasoning to grill with at home. Hand-crafted beer from local Mustang brewery available for $4. Restervations recommended. $45 per adult, $25 for kids ages 7-12. Children under 6 eat free. 235-1000, www.meltingpot.com.
June 15 • 16
- Bright Night of Grossology at Science Museum Oklahoma is an after-hours experience at Science Museum Oklahoma. Registration required. $35 members, $45 nonmembers. 6pm-8:30am. 602-6664, www.sciencemuesumok.org.
June 16 • Saturday
- FREE “Hooked on Fishing” Classes presented by the OKC Parks Department at MetroTech Springlake (NW 36 & Springlake) invites participants ages 5-15 to learn fishing basics. All children must be accompanied by an adult. Equipment provided. 8-10:30am. 297-3903, www.okc.gov/parks.
- Decorate for Dad at the OKC Museum of Art (415 Couch Dr, OKC) invites ages 3-5 to share a story anf make a special paper tie for Father’s Day using paint, markers and pom-poms. Registration required. $7.50 members, $10 nonmembers. 10-11am. 236-3100, www.okcmoa.com.
- "Chalk the Walk" in the South parking lot of Bass Pro Shop (200 Bass Pro) benefits the Parents Assistance Center. Artists of all ages and experience levels are invited to create a work of art using water based, temporary chalk on pavement. Entries will be judged in four age categories. Preregister. $20 per square. 10am-3pm. 232-8226, www.pacok.org.
- FREE Crafts for Kids “Key Keeper” at Lakeshore Learning (6300 N May) invites kids to create a gift for Dad for Father’s Day. Ages 3 & up. 11am-3pm. 858-8778, www.lakeshorelearning.com.
- Nesting Shelf at Martin Park Nature Center (5000 W Memorial, OKC) invites children 6 & older to discuss the needs of birds and all creatures to have food, water and shelter and make a bird shelter to invite birds into their backyards. Children must attend with an adult. Preregister. $5 material fee. 2pm. 755-0676, www.okc.gov/parks/martin_park/index.html.
- Daddy Daughter Dance at the Moore Community Center (301 S Howard , Moore) for Dads & their Daughters ages 4-14 years old features two separate dances. Tickets must be purchased by June 14. T-shirts will be available for purchase. $5 per person. 5pm & 7:30pm. 793-5090, www.cityofmoore.com.
- Fabulous Father’s Day at the Orr Family Farm (14400 S Western, OKC) features FREE admission for dads. Take a ride on the zip line, ride the train, pet the animals, mine for gemstones & visit the Sweet Shoppe for some special goodies. 10am-6pm. 799-FARM, www.orrfamilyfarm.com.
- Glenn Miller Orchestra at the Rose State Performing Arts Center (6420 SE 15, Midwest City) features great Big Band tunes. 7pm. 297-2264, www.okciviccenter.com.
- Fort Reno Ghost Tours at Historic Fort Reno (7107 W Cheyenne, El Reno) tells tales & urban legends of haunted buildings, villainous murders, lost treasure & more. Includes tours of the fort & presentations by paranormal research teams. Advance reservations and ticket purchase required. Held the third Saturday of the month March through November. $8 adults, $7 seniors, $5 children ages 5-12. 7:30pm. 262-3987, www.fortreno.org.
June 17 • Sunday
FREE Admission for Dads (Many venues require one paid admission per complimentary admission)
- Oklahoma Aquarium in Jenks, 10am-6pm. 918-296-FISH, okaquarium.org.
- OKC Zoo, 9am-5pm. 424-3344, okczoo.com.
- OKC Museum of Art, Noon-5pm. 236-3100, okcmoa.com
- American Banjo Museum (9 E Sheridan, OKC), Noon-5pm. 604-2793, americanbanjomuseum.com.
- Oklahoma City National Memorial Museum (620 N Harvey, OKC), Noon-6pm. 235-3313, oklahomacitynationalmemorial.org.
- Mabee-Gerrer Museum of Art (1900 W MacArthur, Shawnee), 1-4pm. 878-5300, mgmoa.org.
- Science Museum Oklahoma, 11am-6pm (with the donation of a new children's book) www.sciencemuseumok.org.
- Myriad Gardens Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory (301 W Reno, OKC), 11am-5pm, 297-3995, www.myriadgardens.org.
- Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art (555 Elm, Norman), 1-5pm, 325-3272, www.ou.edu/fjjma.
- FREE Kayak Rental for Dads at OKC RIVERSPORT locations at the Route 66 Boathouse on Lake Overholser and the Boathouse District Downtown. Dads get one free kayak rental when accompanied by a child with a paid kayak rental. 1-4pm. 552-4040, www.riversportokc.org.
- Father's Day Lunch at the Myriad Botanical Gardens Restaurant Space features a buffet-style lunch and FREE admission to the Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory for all in the party. Reservations required. $35 adults, $15 children 12 & under. 297-0102, www.myriadgardens.org.
- Drawing with Dad at the OKC Museum of Art (415 Couch Dr, OKC) invites Dads and their children ages 6-9 to create a treasured art piece using a variety of drawing media and a big, blank piece of paper. Registration required. $10 members, $15 nonmembers. 2-4pm. 236-3100, www.okcmoa.com.