Aug 28, 201210:55 AMStephanie's Kitchen
Healthy Family Recipes for Picky Kids
Rice Noodle Stir Fry
I love (good) Chinese food. When we lived in Studio City, CA we were just around the corner from a great Chinese place. We could walk there in less than 5 minutes so I'm pretty sure we were there or got take out at least once a week. Now I have to get in the car to pick up take out and the place I like the best doesn't use those cute little cardboard take out boxes. It's not the same after a 30 minute round trip drive and styrofoam boxes.
This week I decided to make my own Chinese take out. I was very happy with the results but I'm not going to lie...the kids weren't too keen on it. And Dear Husband's response to my inquiry if he liked it was a half-heated sure, yeah. Now that I think about it he never orders noodles of any kind when we eat at a Chinese restaurant. Hummm. In any case, I love rice noodles and thought this recipe was a great substitute for take out.
- 1 package rice noodles
- 1 lb. chicken breast cut into bite size pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped julianne style
- 1/3 cup teriyaki sauce
- 2 Tbs. soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. rice vinegar
- 2 Tbs. oyster sauce
- 1 Tbs. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 2-3 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 Tbs. peeled, minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Combine chicken with Teriyaki sauce and set aside to marinate. Combine soy sauce, rice vinegar, oyster sauce, sesame oil and cornstarch.
- In a wok or large skillet, heat olive oil and cook chicken. About 10 minutes. While chicken is cooking, break rice noodles in half into a large bowl. Pour hot water over noodles to soften.
- Once chicken is cooked, add ginger, garlic, carrots and bell pepper and cook on high for 1 minute.
- Drain noodles and add to chicken and veggies.
- Add soy sauce mixture and toss to combine.
- Eat with chop sticks and you'll fool your family into thinking you picked up take out from your favorite restaurant as a treat.
Find more from Stephanie at www.hugskissesandsnot.com.