Sep 18, 201204:38 PMStephanie's Kitchen
Healthy Family Recipes for Picky Kids
Easy Chicken & Rice Soup
Soup's on! I hope Iʼm not jinxing anything but I think itʼs safe to say that fall weather is here at last (at least until this crazy Oklahoma weather decides we need another 90 degree heat wave in September) and that means soup, stew and chili are on the menu.
This chicken and rice soup is so easy it can be ready to go in 45 minutes start to finish and can feed a crowd or just a small family for several days. As with most soups it's always better the next day. Here's what you need (should you feel so inclined):
- Rotisserie chicken from the deli section of the grocery store
- Turkey kielbasa sausage
- 3-4 carrots, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 3-4 celery stalks, chopped
- a handful of new potatoes, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 large carton of chicken broth
- salt & pepper
- celery seed
- olive oil
- 4 cups cooked rice
- In a large stock pot saute the onion, celery and carrots in a tablespoon, or so, of olive oil.
- Add salt, pepper and a healthy sprinkle of celery seed.
- While that is slowly sauteing pull the chicken from the bone.
- In the middle of your chicken' pickin' take a moment to add the potatoes to the pot.
- Add enough water just to cover the veggies and simmer on low.
- Continue pulling as much chicken off the bone as you can.
- Cut the turkey kielbasa into rounds and brown in a skillet. (This step is optional and is not completely necessary but will give the sausage a nice color.)
- Add the browned sausage and chicken to the pot.
- Add the chicken broth and more water (if it's necessary) to make sure everything is taking a nice deep bath.
- Simmer on low for 15 or 20 minutes. Enough time to fix a green side salad, set the table, tell your kids to wash their hands about 16 times and wrestle the toddler into the high chair.
- Just before serving add the cooked rice to the pot.
A perfect meal to warm your soul.
Find more from Stephanie at www.hugskissesandsnot.com.