May 15, 201212:13 AMStephanie's Kitchen
Healthy Family Recipes for Picky Kids
Coconut Chicken Curry
Donʼt let the wordʼs “coconut” or “curry” scare you. Neither flavor is overpowering in this dish. If you are a curry connoisseur then this dish will probably be too mild for you. If you are wanting to introduce curry to delicate palates then this may be what you are looking for. If you are not a huge fan of coconut don't turn away just yet. The coconut flavor was extremely mild. In fact a little too mild for me because I love the stuff but just right for Dear Husband because he's not so much of a coconut fan. Here we go:
- 1 - 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite size cubes
- 1 whole onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1 can low sodium tomato paste
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbs. curry powder
- 1 Tbs. garam masala
- 2 dry red chili peppers (optional for extra heat)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 - 2 heaping Tbs. cornstarch
- Place chicken in crock pot.
- Put all other ingredients (except for water and cornstarch) in a food processor and blend until smooth. Pour the curry mixture over the chicken and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.
- About 30 minutes to an hour before you are ready to serve, mix the water and cornstarch together and stir into your curry.
- Serve over rice.
I took a risk fixing this because I was doubtful Addison would eat past the first bite we normally have to force upon him. The Indian food gods were smiling down on me that day because, I can't believe I'm about to say this...he cleaned his plate. This is a testimony to those moms of picky eaters out there...there is light at the end of the tunnel. Addison likes his with Parmesan cheese. Whatever it takes buddy, whatever it takes.
Find more from Stephanie at www.hugskissesandsnot.com.