Tasty Tuesday Recipe—February 14, 2012: Chocolate Crepes with Strawberries
Adapted from Dessert University by Roland Mesnier
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 large yolk, room temperature
- 2 T sugar
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cup whole milk
- 4 T unsalted butter, melted but not too hot plus a little more for pan
- Pinch salt
- 6 oz semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 pint strawberries, quartered (use frozen if fresh are not available)
- 2 T sugar
- 2 T Cointreau or Grand Marnier liqueur
- 2 T whipped cream
- Combine egg, yolk, sugar, flour, and ½ cup of milk in a mixing bowl. Stir until a paste is formed; add remaining milk, melted butter and salt.
- Mix thoroughly and strain into another bowl.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days. Warm batter slightly before using by placing on a water bath.
- Heat a 6 inch non-stick sauté pan on medium heat and add ½ tsp of melted butter. Using a small ladle, pour 2 T of batter into pan tilting, the pan quickly from side to side and in circular motions to allow batter to spread evenly.
- Place strawberries, sugar, and liqueur in a bowl; mix thouroughly and reserve
- Cook for about 30 seconds or until the sides have lightly browned. Using a paring knife or butter knife, grasp the crepe and flip it over to cook the other side about 30 more seconds.
- Allow the pan to cool slightly and repeat. Layer the crepes on a pan or large plate.
- Heat the cream until almost a boil. Place the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl and add the hot cream, mixing until smooth. Use this chocolate ganache immediately or refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
- To assemble, spread a thin layer of chocolate ganache over each crepe leaving the outer ½ inch clean. Fold in half and then half again. Top with strawberries and whipped cream.