Giving the Gift of NOwnership
We’re at the height of an era marked by fewer possessions and more experiences. In fact, a recent study sponsored by Eventbrite shows more than three in four millennials would choose to spend money on an event or experience over buying something desirable. Respondents said they believe attending a live experience helps them connect better with friends and their communities.
So this Christmas, consider getting a loved one an experience instead of a traditional gift. Here are some ideas:
- OKC Broadway has some family-friendly shows slated for their 2018 season at Civic Center Music Hall and tickets would make a great gift. “Finding Neverland” is an all-ages show scheduled for March 13-18 and “School of Rock” is recommended for ages 8 and up and is scheduled for Feb. 6-11.
- The Oklahoma City Philharmonic presents a Discovery Family Series each year designed specifically to make music accessible to kids ages 4-13. Gifting a child with this experience could spark a lifelong interest in music. The early 2018 shows are scheduled for 2 p.m. on Feb. 25 and April 8 at Civic Center Music Hall with a special instrument playground set up beginning at 1 p.m. in the lobby.
- The Oklahoma City Zoo has a special membership program through ZooFriends that would make an excellent gift for little animal lovers. Members enjoy perks like free admission for a year, discounts, a members-only entrance and invitations to the annual ZooFriends Appreciation Day and other special events.
- Myriad Botanical Gardens offers a family membership that gets up to eight people free admission into the Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservancy for an entire year plus free and discounted admission to a variety of other special events and programs, like free admission to Pumpkinville and free skate rentals at the Devon Ice Rink. Members also enjoy reciprocal admission to more than 300 other gardens throughout the U.S.
- Gifting a membership to the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum ensures an entire year of entertainment and learning. Families can enjoy year-round admission for six people, museum publications and special invitations and discounts on events, the Museum Store and Museum Grill.
- With plenty of art experiences for all ages and film showcases that make for a perfect date night, an Oklahoma City Museum of Art membership would make an excellent gift. Families can enjoy free general admission for two adults and all children in the household as well as private tours, special events and excursions and exclusive film screenings.
- Another idea for a fun experience-based gift is to sign your child up for a summer camp or after-school activity. Registration is already open at Kanakuk, a summer camp experience outside of Branson, Mo. for boys and girls ages 6-18. Reveal their gift at Christmas and they have months to look forward to all the fun summer experiences. Registration's also open now for Camp Classen, one of the most popular summer camp experiences for local families that's hosted annually in the Arbuckle Mountains.
- After-school activities will start back up after the holiday break so it’s a great time to gift them an opportunity to try that new sport or skill. Find plenty of summer camp ideas on our Summer Camp Guide and after-school activities on our After-School Activities Guide.