Your Guide to Fun Family Events in OKC for Labor Day Weekend!
Top Family Events this Weekend in the Oklahoma City Metro
August 30-September 2, 2012
MetroFamily's Weekend Picks is your go-to source for weekend family fun.
Whether you live in OKC, Edmond, Moore, Norman or nearby, we'll help you find the best weekend activities for your family. Be sure to fill out the form at the end of the page to receive Weekend Picks in your inbox every Thursday!
MetroFamily's Top 10 Weekend Picks:
Oktoberfest at Choctaw’s Creek Park features homemade German food & continuous live entertainment for all ages, plus German dance groups, crafts & activities for children. 390-8647, Friday, 5pm-12am; Saturday-Monday, 12pm-12am. www.choctawfestival.org. Also held 9/5-8.
- FREE Loose Caboose Festival on Main Street in Purcell is a family event featuring antiques, collectibles, crafts, art, children’s activities, wine tasting, food & live entertainment throughout the day. Saturday, 9am-4pm. www.loosecaboosefestival.com.
- Monkey Business Children’s Consignment Sale at the Shawnee Expo Center (1700 W Independence, Shawnee) features new & gently used items relating to children & teens. Many items half-price on Saturday. Thursday-Friday, 9am-7pm; Saturday, 9am-2pm. 740-9357, http://shawnee.monkeybusinessok.com.
- FREE Heitz Movie Nitez at Marc Heitz Chevrolet (I-35 & Lindsay, Norman) screens Bambi under the stars. Friday, movie at dusk. See Marc Heitz Community Complex Facebook page for showtime or weather changes. Playground closed during movies. 488-7971, www.facebook.com/kcoyote.1Force.
- 27th Annual Brookhaven 5K Run at Brookhaven Village (36th Ave NW & Robinson, Norman) includes 5K, 1-mile Fun Run & children’s races. $25 race day, FREE children’s races ages 11 & under. Saturday, 8am. www.brookhavenrun.com.
- FREE Shock Basketball Academy Skills Camp at Lighthouse Fitness Center (3333 W Hefner) for boys and girls grades 3-8. Preregister online. Satuday, 9am-noon. 405-816-4667, www.sbabasketball.net.
- FREE Arts Festival Oklahoma at Oklahoma City Community College is a is a three day event highlighting a wide variety of fine art, crafts, children’s activities, culinary specialties & live entertainment. $5 parking. Saturday-Sunday, 10am-9pm; Monday, 10am-5pm. 682-7576, www.occc.edu/afo.
- Fun in the Sun at the Myriad Gardens (301 W. Reno) allows kids to make sun prints using materials from the Children's Garden. A water balloon toss, while supplies last, will be held at 1pm. $2 per child. Saturday, 10am. 297-3995, www.myriadgardens.com.
- Posthuman-Palooza at the Myriad Botanical Gardens (301 W Reno) is a one-day, family-friendly mini music festival supporting the production of the independent superhero film "Posthuman". Family-friendly bands include Sugar Free Allstars, Brianna Gaither, O'Fidelis, The Grown Ups and more. $15. Saturday, 1:45-9:30pm. http://posthumanfilm.eventbrite.com.
- OSU Football vs. Savannah State at Boone Pickens Stadium in Stillwater. Saturday, 6pm. www.okstate.com. Other home games this month: 9/15 vs. Louisiana-Lafayette & 9/29 vs. Texas.
Looking for more to do on Labor Day Weekend? See our searchable online calendar every day to view dozens of great family events!
5 Events Not to Miss Next Week:
- FREE Admission at the Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History on the first Monday of each month. Saturday, September 3, 10am-5pm. 325-4712, www.snomnh.ou.edu.
- FREE 104th Annual Cleveland County Fair at the Cleveland County Fairgrounds (615 E Robinson, Norman) features livestock shows, carnival rides, tractor pulls, celebrity cow-milking contest, kiddie pedal pulls & petting zoo. September 6-8. www.clevelandcountyfair.org.
- FREE First Friday Gallery Walk in the Paseo Arts District features more than 60 artists in 17 galleries. Friday, September 7, 6-10pm; Saturday, September 8, noon-5pm. 525-2688, www.thepaseo.com.
- FREE Septemberfest at the Governor's Mansion (820 NE 23) is an annual family festival hosted by the state of Oklahoma's first family featuring entertainment, activities, hands-on learning for children, food, story-telling, historical re-enactments & more. FREE admission to the Oklahoma History Center located nearby. Saturday, September 8, 10am-4pm. 557-0198.
- FREE Luncheon on the Grass presented by the Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art, the Firehouse Art Center, the Jacobson House & the Norman Arts Council at Lions Park (450 S Flood, Norman). Sunday, September 9, 4-6:30pm. 325-3272, www.ou.edu/fjjma.