2012 Mother's Day Fun Guide
On Mother's Day, we love to show our moms just how special they are—and what better way than to treat her to a day of fun! Here is MetroFamily's 2012 Guide to Mother's Day Fun, which includes numerous ways to enjoy an unforgettable day in the OKC metro.
[Editor's Note: This is a working list, so check back often for new listings. If you know of a Mother's Day themed event or activity that you would like to have included, please email the listing information to email@example.com or leave a comment below.]
May 5 • Saturday
- Mother's Day Flower Pots at Martin Park Nature Center (5000 W Memorial, OKC) invites little ones to decorate flower pots planted with native seeds for Mom's special day. $8, includes supplies. 1pm & 4pm. 755-0676, www.okc.gov/parks/martin_park.
May 11 • 12
- Bug Out Ladybug Festival at the Myriad Botanical Gardens Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory features a ladybug release, games, crafts, hands-on learning activities and more. Ladybugs will be available for release on a first-come, first-served basis starting at 9am each day. Regular admission to the Crystal Bridge applies. Ladybug containers are $1 each. 9am-2pm. 297-3995, www.myriadgardens.org.
- Sense & Sensibility presented by the Reduxion Theatre Company (1613 N Broadway, OKC). Add the Mother's Day package available at the theater which includes 2 cupcakes and 2 glasses of bubbly for an additional $16. $17, $13 students, seniors, military. 8pm. 651-3191, www.reduxiontheatre.com.
May 11 • 13
- FREE Admission at the Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art (555 Elm, Norman). Friday, 10am-9pm; Saturday, 10am-5pm; Sunday, 1-5pm. 325-3272, www.ou.edu/fjjma.
May 12 • Saturday
- 26th Annual Ostrich Egg Breakfast at the OKC Zoo includes an all-you-can-eat breakfast of pancakes, sausage, scrambled hens’ eggs, waffles & Ostrich Egg Omelets. Preregister. $10 adults, $6 children ages 3-11 for members; $12 adults, $8 children ages 3-11 for non-members. 8-11am. 425-0618, www.zoofriends.org.
- FREE Pamper with a Purpose – Special Mother’s Day Health & Wellness Screening at INTEGRIS Comprehensive Breast Center of Oklahoma (3525 NW 56) invites women to enjoy an exclusive, stress-free morning of relaxation including heart health screenings, cancer screenings, breast health, bra fittings, chair massages & spa hand treatments. 9am-1pm. 951-2277.
- Marvelous Mother’s Day at the Orr Family Farm (14400 S Western) offers FREE admission for moms, mining for gemstones & special goodies in the Sweet Shoppe. 10am-6pm. 799-FARM, www.orrfamilyfarm.com.
- FREE Build & Grow Kid's Clinic – Picture Frame Planter at Lowe's stores offers kids an opportunity to complete a wooden project (perfect for a Mother's Day gift!) and receive an apron, goggles, a project-themed patch & a certificate of merit. 10am. www.lowesbuildandgrow.com.
- FREE Crafts for Kids “Handprint Keepsake” at Lakeshore Learning (6300 N May) invites kids to create a sweet gift for Mom for Mother's Day. Ages 3 & up. 11am-3pm. 858-8778, www.lakeshorelearning.com.
May 13 • Sunday
- Mother's Day Brunch at the Myriad Botanical Gardens (301 W Reno, OKC) features irresistable entrees and specialty drinks. Mothers get one free mimosa with their brunch and everyone in the party receives a pass to visit the Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory. Reservations must be made by May 4. Seatings at 11am & 12:30pm. $50 per adult, $20 per child 12 & under. 297-0102.
- Mother's Day Brunch at the Skirvin Hotel's Park Avenue Grill (1 Park Ave, OKC) features breakfast, omelet and carving stations, salads, fuits, seafood, bacon, ham, roasted rib of beef, cakes, pies and much more. Complimentary valet parking is provided. Reservations encouraged. $49.95 per person, $25 children 4-12, FREE children under 4. 10:30am-3pm. 702-8444.
- Mother’s Day Brunch at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum’s Dining on Persimmon Hill restaurant includes museum admission. 11am-3pm. 478-2250, nationalcowboymuseum.org.
- Sunday Brunch at the OKC Museum of Art (415 Couch, OKC). Reservations recommended. 10:30am-3pm. 235-6262, www.okcmoa.com.
- Mother's Day Special at the Melting Pot (4 E Sheridan, OKC) features a set, four-course menu with optional drink specials and gifts available for mom. Call for reservations or to pre-arrange a gift package. $40 per adult, $20 per child 12 & under. 235-1000, www.meltingpot.com.
- FREE 2nd Sunday Concert at the Downtown Library features jazz harpist Jessica Tate in a performance for the whole family. 2-3pm. 231-8650, metrolibrary.org.
- Mothers Get Pampered at OKC Redhawks vs. Tucson Padres baseball at the Bricktown Ballpark includes mini-spa treatments, massages & nail services while kids can make special Mother's Day t-shirts. 2pm. $5 & up. 218-1000, www.okcredhawks.com.
FREE Admission for Moms (Many venues require one paid admission per complimentary admission)
- Oklahoma Aquarium in Jenks, 10am-6pm. 918-296-FISH, okaquarium.org.
- OKC Zoo, 9am-5pm. 424-3344, okczoo.com.
- OKC Museum of Art, Noon-5pm. 236-3100, okcmoa.com
- American Banjo Museum (9 E Sheridan, OKC), Noon-5pm. 604-2793, americanbanjomuseum.com.
- Oklahoma City National Memorial Museum (620 N Harvey, OKC), Noon-6pm. 235-3313, oklahomacitynationalmemorial.org.
- Mabee-Gerrer Museum of Art (1900 W MacArthur, Shawnee), 1-4pm. 878-5300, mgmoa.org.
- Science Museum Oklahoma, 11am-6pm (with the donation of a non perishable food item for the Regional Food Bank) www.sciencemuseumok.org.
- Myriad Gardens Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory (301 W Reno, OKC), 11am-5pm, 297-3995, www.myriadgardens.org.
- Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art (555 Elm, Norman), 1-5pm, 325-3272, www.ou.edu/fjjma (FREE admission for all guests)